Upgraded to 1405 and firmware, now have issues

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Fri-12-Jul

So I've upgraded to the 1405 upgrade kit, along with Jon's Y axis and X axis upgrades (all printed prior to tear down). Got everything assembled nice, wired, and updated the firmware to the inductive version 3 firmware. No matter what I try the Z home crashes the head in to the bed. I've searched and changed things with the M210 and M211, made sure M500 was used after every change, and confirmed with the M501 to actually see the changes in value. I've tried everything, searched everywhere, and none of the solutions I found helped. I've spent a few days and it's driving me nuts. If it matters, I've increased my X and Y print area to 280mm x 218mm. End stops and motor directions are all correct in corilation to the firmware. Help please! :|

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Upgraded to 1405 and firmware, now have issues

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Fri-13-Jul

Is it possible that during all the tear down/reassembly the probe got damaged? Obviously, due to the high number of failure reports, the probe wiring is fairly fragile. Maybe trigger / untrigger the probe and verify it is being read properly by using an M119?

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Fri-13-Jul

Mach-Chris wrote:Is it possible that during all the tear down/reassembly the probe got damaged? Obviously, due to the high number of failure reports, the probe wiring is fairly fragile. Maybe trigger / untrigger the probe and verify it is being read properly by using an M119?

The tear down didn't involve the sensor as I was on the old 2013 simple which used an endstop. I can see it light up when it gets close to the bed, but it just keeps going and crashes in to the bed cause unbearable buzzing noise screeching from the z motor. :o

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Fri-13-Jul

Still, Check the endstop status with the M119, no such thing as too much info.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Fri-14-Jul

Mach-Chris wrote:Still, Check the endstop status with the M119, no such thing as too much info.

Well Chris, looks like you're on it. No matter what I do results are the same. X triggered Y triggered Z open.

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Fri-14-Jul

So (assuming the Z probe is plugged into the correct socket) your probe may be faulty.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Mach-Chris wrote:So (assuming the Z probe is plugged into the correct socket) your probe may be faulty.

Yes it's plugged in to the correct z end stop socket in the correct orientation. Funny the sensor lights up like it's working, but yet doesn't trigger. I guess I'll have to email printrbot...thanks For your help Chris.

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jul-Fri-21-Jul

I don't have a proximity probe, but I have seen posts from people having problems with the wires breaking. The break can be internal (the insulation is not broken). If your probe is receiving power and its indicator light changes state, then this would point to the "sense" or "switched" wire being broken.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Sat-06-Jul

I agree with RJ, most cases I have come across exhibit similar issues which almost always point to the wiring and not the probe itself. If you're up to the task you can try and repair it yourself.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Sat-06-Jul

Well I have to take my entire harness apart to pull the sensor so might as well keep digging a bit more and see if I can solder in some new wires.

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jul-Sat-07-Jul

worth a shot. In most probe failure cases I have seen, when requesting a replacement from PB they don't ask for the faulty one back....So if you CAN fix it, you're further ahead.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Sat-07-Jul

Mach-Chris wrote:worth a shot. In most probe failure cases I have seen, when requesting a replacement from PB they don't ask for the faulty one back....So if you CAN fix it, you're further ahead.

Yeah, I've already put in my ticket and Ian has responded that they will be shipping me a new one. Without splitting everything open, I took a quick peek and it seems there are two yellow wires and one black. I'm guessing the furthest outside wire is the "trigger" or "sense" wire, middle yellow is + power and black is ground? I've come up with this only by looking at how the end stop switch is plugged in (no middle wire).

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Wed-07-Jul

So I finally got a chance to swap out the new sensor sent to me and it seems to work although the G29 command seems to give different readings (ie G29 twice and get two different z readings). Also for some reason after the firmware upgrade, I noticed the extruder just running wild dumping globs of PLA, and sometimes using the manual extrude throws it in reverse. This thing is starting to get on my nerves...almost regretting upgrading this thing when it was printing just fine in the older config. :evil:

BTW i've tried the inductive V3 and the PB metal V2 firmware. Z motor also seems so buzz a little only when lifting nozzle up during it's G29 3 point measure.

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jul-Wed-09-Jul

Baedarlboo wrote:So I finally got a chance to swap out the new sensor sent to me and it seems to work although the G29 command seems to give different readings (ie G29 twice and get two different z readings). Also for some reason after the firmware upgrade, I noticed the extruder just running wild dumping globs of PLA, and sometimes using the manual extrude throws it in reverse. This thing is starting to get on my nerves...almost regretting upgrading this thing when it was printing just fine in the older config. :evil:

BTW i've tried the inductive V3 and the PB metal V2 firmware. Z motor also seems so buzz a little only when lifting nozzle up during it's G29 3 point measure.

Try using G28 before each G29

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Wed-09-Jul

thawkins wrote:
Baedarlboo wrote:So I finally got a chance to swap out the new sensor sent to me and it seems to work although the G29 command seems to give different readings (ie G29 twice and get two different z readings). Also for some reason after the firmware upgrade, I noticed the extruder just running wild dumping globs of PLA, and sometimes using the manual extrude throws it in reverse. This thing is starting to get on my nerves...almost regretting upgrading this thing when it was printing just fine in the older config. :evil:

Try using G28 before each G29

I do, it's set in my custom G code in slicer.

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

So I've messed with every M-code in the firmware that pertains to the extruder, messed with every setting in slicer and rep and I still cant control the extruder. It just wants to run like a bat out of hell trying to force PLA that it strips it up and i get PLA powder/shreds. I'm at the end of the rope at this point...either burn it or flash it back to the end stop firmware and try to rig up a z end stop and spring loaded plate. There seems to be no way to control the extruder for proper flow control.

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jul-Fri-15-Jul

That issue sounds like improper calibration for the Extruder motor.
First, we need to decide which kind of extruder you have: Wade's (with a big and small gear) or Direct Drive (no reduction gear).

This picture is of a Wade's extruder:
Extruder-Wade-Geared.PNG

This picture is of a Direct Drive extruder:
Extruder-DirectDrive.PNG

Next, we need to look at the Extruder calibration value that is in use for your machine. If it's a Wade's extruder, it should be in the ballpark of 500 - 600; if it's a Direct-Drive, then it should be in the ballpark of 100.

If you are using a Windows computer with Repetier, it's easy to see what is in use: Click on the "Config" button and then select the EEPROM Settings. You should see a screen something like this:
Repetier Firmware EEPROM Settings.JPG

The "E" value for "steps per mm" is the one you want to focus on. In my example, I have a Wade's extruder. You can type a new value directly into the box, then click on "Save to EEPROM" (it will actually take two clicks to save it). (By the way, ignore my value for Z steps per mm; I've modified my board.)

Or, on any kind of computer and with any software being used for the interface, you can type the command M503 to see what's in your EEPROM for calibration numbers.
You will have to scroll the "log" screen in Repetier, but you should see something resembling this (I've highlighted the Extruder calibration in red):

//Generic Plus EEPROM Settings modified 15 Apr 2014
//Metric toothed belts.
//No auto-leveling included in this set of constants

Code: Select all
M503
echo:Steps per unit:
[b[color=#FF0040]]M92[/color][/b] X79.91 Y80.00 Z2260.00 [b][color=#FF0040]E530.73[/color][/b]

echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
M203 X200.00 Y200.00 Z4.80 E31.40

echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
M201 X4000 Y4000 Z100 E10000

echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
M204 S1500.00 T4000.00

echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X25.00 Z0.40 E5.00

echo:Home offset (mm):
M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00

echo:PID settings:
M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00

echo:Min position (mm):
M210 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00

echo:Max position (mm):
M211 X205.00 Y205.00 Z200.00

EDIT: Sorry, the color didn't come out within the code block...
echo:Steps per unit:
M92 X79.91 Y80.00 Z2260.00 E530.73

If you have a Direct Drive extruder, you would type in the command
Code: Select all
M92 E100

to get you in the ballpark. But you really need to calibrate accurately to get good prints. Extruder calibration is covered in several posts in the forum.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Baedarlboo » 2014-Jul-Sat-07-Jul

I have a direct drive extruder and my E value is 96 in the M92 field. I've played with this changing the value to 0.05 and it doesn't make a difference. No matter what extruder value I use, it's the same outcome. And yes I made sure to use the M500 command to save, and M501 to make sure the changes took. Has anybody seen or encountered an issue like this?

Baedarlboo
Levelling print bed...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)