Belt seems to rub

Belt seems to rub

Postby donde » 2014-Jun-Wed-21-Jun

Just finished Step 25 of the Upgrade of the New Simple. That is the X axis is complete. I notice the ribbed belt looks like it's rubbing part 1118.
I see rubber marks on it. And pushing the bed by hand seems to take more push compared to the string setup. Not sure if two are related. The belt seems tight enough.

donde
I'm an end stop.

Belt seems to rub

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Belt seems to rub

Postby EddB » 2014-Jun-Thu-02-Jun

Is it possible the gt2 gear is too close to the motor, forcing it to rub against the the piece? When we assembled ours as instructed, the gear was too far in. Had to li e it up manually to see where it needed to be.
The rubbing would cause it to be a tighter fit. Align the gear/belt and that may clear up. Also over-tightening the belt can causes pressure that makes it harder to move. I think that instruction should be "tighten as much as possible, as long as the motor moves freely."
Ed

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby donde » 2014-Jun-Thu-08-Jun

Ed, I believe you are correct. I remember the instructions saying don't let the pulley rub against the motor. I did what it said, leaving a tiny gap.
Now I need a tiny gap between Part 1118 and the belt. How would one know if it was right at the time? Also, as you say over tightening the belt makes it harder to
move the bed freely. And the instructions said, get it as tight as you can. This is not correct. Well, I'm going to move that pulley out a tiny bit more. I hope I can free up the set screws, for I used Blue Locktite on them. Maybe a drop of Acetone would work?
Actually I think all the instructions and pictures could be reworked. Printrbot was in a hurry to get the "New" Upgrade Kit out, for they had none when I first received the kit.
Thanks...Don

donde
I'm an end stop.

Postby Defy » 2014-Jun-Thu-22-Jun

Nope it rubs i have built 2 and have a ticket in with pb i think the holes in the end plate need to be moved.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403233531.585903.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Jun-Fri-01-Jun

Mine rubs as well, but it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. The wood is soft enough that it shouldn't damage anything.

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Postby ChefScott » 2014-Jul-Tue-13-Jul

Defy wrote:Nope it rubs i have built 2 and have a ticket in with pb i think the holes in the end plate need to be moved.

I agree. The slots on part 1108 need to be moved towards the front of the bot by a few mm. Also the holes on part 1113 need to be moved forward the same amount. The belt is not on a straight path without this and the belt will rub against part 1118. If you set the bot upright and center the bed you can see that the belt for the X axis is bowed.
1405-x-axis-belt-curve.jpg

Those two parts need to be remade to eliminate this issue. The belt for the Y axis runs straight, true and smooth from end to end and the belt does not ride back and forth on the toothed pulley. The current X axis increases resistance towards each end as the belt comes into contact with the wood and the belt rides back and forth on the toothed pulley pretending it is the older fishing line and sandpaper system.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChefScott
Waiting for printbed temp...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)