Silent hot end switch up?

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-Jun-Mon-21-Jun

So I love my red limited edition metal simple so much I decided to grab a white metal kit. I finally got around to building it, literally took an hour to put together. One thing I noticed when adjusting the height on the probe was that the hotend is different from the one I got on my Red. The wires going to it aren't as thick and the metal on the bottom is the same size as the barrel compared to the older one that is bigger on the bottom.

Was there a silent swap out? Does anyone know if this smaller one has any benefits over the bigger?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmazingSpanoMan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Silent hot end switch up?

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jun-Mon-22-Jun

One (bigger) uses a heater cartridge and an aluminum heat block, the slimmer one uses a heating wire wound around the barrel and a ceramic cement covering. IMHO the bigger one is better as if the heater fails it can be swapped out with a new cartridge, the slim one is a write off if the heater fails unless you are willing to try constructing your own. IMHO the aluminium heater block based one has a better thermistor mounting method, which is easy to replace.

Its the reason why i decided not to buy my replacement hotends from printrbot, as they announced that they would send either for any order, and you don't get the choice, so its a crap shoot. I dont want the ceramic cement coil ones, i want heater cartridge based ones. Instead i ordered two anubis hotends from QUBD, as I know they are heater cartridge based.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Jun-Mon-22-Jun

Let me know how well the Anubis hotends from qubd work out for ya as I'm looking for 2 new hotends for the aluminum beast I'm building.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-Jun-Mon-23-Jun

What about those 3DP hotends? You think one of those would work well with the metal setup?

AmazingSpanoMan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Tue-07-Jun

It would seem Printrbot chooses these hot ends at random. My original hotend was a nichrome wire heating element. It failed just outside of warrenty. Their replacement program although enticing, isn't really economical enough since You have to ship your part to them, wait, they ship back, etc. Lots of down time. Only a 19$ difference, so I ordered a new hot end and I'm hoping it is a cartridge style. In the mean time I ordered 30ft of nichrome wire off ebay for 6$ and will at least attempt to repair the original.

RRS,

I ordered a qubd one-up in Feb, I would love to give you feedback, but here we are in June. Still no printer....Promised delivery in april...then May. Maybe their delivery on individual parts is a little more expedient...But for the time being, given how upset most people seem to be about their orders not being filled (some people have been waiting close to a year). Perhaps a more reputable supplier would be best. Your printer looks like an awesome machine. Can`t wait to see it print something!

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)