Aluminum Extruder different?

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-Jun-Mon-10-Jun

Question...

On Printrbot's website where you can purchase the aluminum extruder you have to select what printer you are purchasing it for. This got me thinking...

I was trying to print and install the ninjaflex adapter by Adafruit (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:337267) on to a wood 2014 simple kit but couldn't get it to fit or work. I realize that it was advertised for the metal simple but thought the alu extruder was the same on both and it would fit.

Does anyone know if the extruders have slight differences? This would certainly answer a lot of questions as to why it isn't fitting for me.

Thanks!

AmazingSpanoMan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Aluminum Extruder different?

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Jun-Mon-10-Jun

I know that the model you found on thingiverse does not fit a new metal simple. The lower guide on the part has been machined into the extruder body. The top guide will work if you cut off the lower section.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Jdublu wrote:I know that the model you found on thingiverse does not fit a new metal simple. The lower guide on the part has been machined into the extruder body. The top guide will work if you cut off the lower section.

Maybe that's what is happening on mine. I haven't tried to install it on my metal yet. Did they change the extruder after the metal came out?

AmazingSpanoMan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EAOJjQMxFE

This video shows the whole part going on there even with the rise in the extruder at the bottom. Can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I seem to break the ones I make when trying to install it.

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Jun-Mon-23-Jun

I gave up on trying to print a part to print with ninjaflex on my metal simple, none of the designs I have seen worked, I even tried my own redesign and it was an exercise in pain and futility.

My solution was to take a small piece of thin sheet metal, roll it into a tube and glue it down into the hole in the extruder. Works great, and doesn't affect my ability to print with normal filament. Metal tubing would work fine as well, but I wasn't keen on trying to find something that small that fit.

I don't understand why people are bothering with the guide that goes above the extruder wheel, I had zero issues with ninjaflex on that part. All my problems were having it bunch up going into the hotend.

Another tip I found for printing ninjaflex that made useable prints was to turn off retraction completely. Before doing that all my parts were coming out stringy messes with layers that weren't sticking together, once I turned off retraction that went away completely and I was getting very nice prints. Just be sure to crank up your travel speed to reduce any stringing.

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-Jun-Tue-07-Jun

MegaMoonMan wrote:I gave up on trying to print a part to print with ninjaflex on my metal simple, none of the designs I have seen worked, I even tried my own redesign and it was an exercise in pain and futility.

My solution was to take a small piece of thin sheet metal, roll it into a tube and glue it down into the hole in the extruder. Works great, and doesn't affect my ability to print with normal filament. Metal tubing would work fine as well, but I wasn't keen on trying to find something that small that fit.

I don't understand why people are bothering with the guide that goes above the extruder wheel, I had zero issues with ninjaflex on that part. All my problems were having it bunch up going into the hotend.

Another tip I found for printing ninjaflex that made useable prints was to turn off retraction completely. Before doing that all my parts were coming out stringy messes with layers that weren't sticking together, once I turned off retraction that went away completely and I was getting very nice prints. Just be sure to crank up your travel speed to reduce any stringing.

Do you have a picture of what you did? Is it just a tube coming from top?

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-Jun-Tue-09-Jun

Yeah, it's just a little tube coming out of the hole in the base of the extruder, that leads up to the bottom of where the toothed extruder wheel and bearing meet. It's the old "straw" trick, with a metal straw. It's about 2 or 3 mm long.

Come to think of it, a regular straw might work just fine.

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)