New metal simple firmware??

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Sun-09-May

OK so on the GitHub the only release for the Metal Simple is the original version that comes shipped on the unit. It states specifically that it needed to be release separate from the unified because there are some coding changes that need to be made in order to include it. Anyway, was looking on the printrbot.com/simple site today, it looks like it has been updated. I clicked on the link that says update the firmware and it leads to this file:

http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads ... 3.hex_.zip

This is a different file than anything on the GitHub. I'm wondering if this is an actual update to the firmware or a mistake that links to the firmware for the other non-metal simples. It wouldn't be the first time something was miss-linked on the printrbot site so I'm a little leery of jumping in and flashing it.

If it is in fact a new version of the firmware, does anyone know of any notes that explain changes and bug fixes? I'm curious to see what the update fixes or adds.

AmazingSpanoMan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New metal simple firmware??

Postby KDog » 2014-May-Sun-12-May

Hi,

As near as I can tell, the github version is only for the rev. F printrboard. I got my kit last week and it came with a rev. D. The firmware linked from support (...v3.hex) is the one that is working great for me.

Printrbot Metal Simple
Printrbot Original (printed on a PBJ)
Dec. 2013 ..... Kossel PRO (still waiting for it to arrive!!!)
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Sun-14-May

KDog wrote:Hi,

As near as I can tell, the github version is only for the rev. F printrboard. I got my kit last week and it came with a rev. D. The firmware linked from support (...v3.hex) is the one that is working great for me.

I'm assuming the rev. F is newer? I wonder what the differences are. Also, there is a release on GitHub that specifically states for metal simple users. I'm going to assume that they wouldn't put the Rev.D on some and Rev. F on others if they aren't going to use the same firmware.

https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/rel ... edlevel_v1

This is the one I was talking about on GitHub. Do you think there is a reason why they aren't hosting new firmware on GitHub anymore?

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby PxT » 2014-May-Mon-11-May

AmazingSpanoMan wrote:I'm assuming the rev. F is newer? I wonder what the differences are.

From http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrboard
  • Changed heatbed connector to 5mm pitch screw terminal
  • Removed E-STOP connector
  • Changed Y-STOP pin
  • Moved former Y-STOP pin to SD interface to fix a limitation of the SPI module
  • Added I2C connector
  • Replaced trimpots with 4-channel I2C DAC
  • Added polyfuse and reverse protection diode to fan circuit
  • Added more empty space around fan connector
  • Made ICSP and EXP1 connector pins share a 0.1" grid
  • Removed reset signal from EXP1, and replaced it with GPIO
  • Changed input PWR connector to a 6-pin one from the same family
  • Removed stop layer from several vias for future bed-of-nails tester
  • Change to through-hole mount microUSB connector
  • Added USB TVS diode pack to protect USB controller from ESD

PxT
Print complete...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Mon-12-May

PxT wrote:
AmazingSpanoMan wrote:I'm assuming the rev. F is newer? I wonder what the differences are.

From http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrboard
  • Changed heatbed connector to 5mm pitch screw terminal
  • Removed E-STOP connector
  • Changed Y-STOP pin
  • Moved former Y-STOP pin to SD interface to fix a limitation of the SPI module
  • Added I2C connector
  • Replaced trimpots with 4-channel I2C DAC
  • Added polyfuse and reverse protection diode to fan circuit
  • Added more empty space around fan connector
  • Made ICSP and EXP1 connector pins share a 0.1" grid
  • Removed reset signal from EXP1, and replaced it with GPIO
  • Changed input PWR connector to a 6-pin one from the same family
  • Removed stop layer from several vias for future bed-of-nails tester
  • Change to through-hole mount microUSB connector
  • Added USB TVS diode pack to protect USB controller from ESD

So pretty much everything I don't like about the board on my Metal (Especially the trimpots) I wonder if I can upgrade or if newer metal simples will come with it?

Edit: Actually it says it was released in winter of 2013. I wonder what bots are using it and why it didn't make it on to the metal simple.

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby MegaMoonMan » 2014-May-Mon-15-May

What does the 4-channel I2C DAC do instead of trimpots? Automatic power adjusting to the motors?

MegaMoonMan
Solid infill...

Postby PxT » 2014-May-Mon-18-May

MegaMoonMan wrote:What does the 4-channel I2C DAC do instead of trimpots? Automatic power adjusting to the motors?

As I understand it, it means that they can set exactly the right power level straight from the factory. Should eliminate any need to manually adjust the pots by the end user -- and even if you do it could be done via software or firmware rather than having to fiddle around underneath the bot.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby KDog » 2014-May-Mon-18-May

Does it also mean that you can set the power level in the firmware or host?

Printrbot Metal Simple
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Tue-09-May

PxT wrote:
MegaMoonMan wrote:What does the 4-channel I2C DAC do instead of trimpots? Automatic power adjusting to the motors?

As I understand it, it means that they can set exactly the right power level straight from the factory. Should eliminate any need to manually adjust the pots by the end user -- and even if you do it could be done via software or firmware rather than having to fiddle around underneath the bot.

Is this Rev even available?

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby PxT » 2014-May-Tue-12-May

The design & schematics are available. I'm not sure that it's possible to buy one anywhere yet.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Tue-14-May

PxT wrote:The design & schematics are available. I'm not sure that it's possible to buy one anywhere yet.

Not available on the Printrbot website. I hope when it is release there is more memory on there to allow for more than three probe locations for leveling.

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Mon-08-May

OK so going back to the original question. I was browsing the PB website today and found at least three different links that point to different versions of the firmware. Does anyone know what the absolute latest version of the FW is for both the metal and wood makers simple??

at printrbot.com/simple it leads to a "hex3" but when you go to the directions for flashing the firmware there are actually two links for two differently named files. On link (under the Mac firmware install direction, step 11) it point you to unified v2 on github but under the windows directions there are links to all the different printers where there are two separate files for the wood and metal simple (step 5) which are both named differently than the Hex V3 that is on the simple get started site.

Sorry for the pain, I just want to make sure I'm running the most recent version of the FW on all my printers especially since this probe leveling is still fairly new and likely to have updates for better and more reliable use.

EDIT: Here are links to the different versions I have found between the simple getting started page and the firmware reflash page that is linked on the getting started page. From the looks of the link address, and my knowledge of how wordpress organizes uploaded files, it seems all 3 non github files were uploaded this year in May. It is just very confusing. If anyone from Printrbot is listening, maybe have one page with links to the official latest releases and have these links point to that page rather than trying to keep track of where all the links are and keeping them updated? Just my humble opinion.

http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads ... 3.hex_.zip
http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads ... e.hex_.zip
http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads ... r.hex_.zip
https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/rel ... unified-v2

Last edited by AmazingSpanoMan on 2014-May-Mon-08-May, edited 1 time in total.
AmazingSpanoMan

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Mon-08-May

I'm running "Marlin.Simple.Inductive.V3.hex" and it's working great for me.

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Mon-08-May

Mach-Chris wrote:I'm running "Marlin.Simple.Inductive.V3.hex" and it's working great for me.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to check that one out. I guess my OCD is just kicking in and I can't help but wonder if this version is in fact the latest version. Do you know what version came shipped on the Metal originally? I'm also wondering if this is the same as the one that was loaded and this is just available just in case you need to reflash.

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Mon-08-May

The one I had originally seems to work the same, I reflashed as part of a troubleshooting process, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. But I can't be sure exactly what version was shipped on the board

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Mon-09-May

Mach-Chris wrote:The one I had originally seems to work the same, I reflashed as part of a troubleshooting process, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. But I can't be sure exactly what version was shipped on the board

Do you notice in Repetier that, even though everything is set to a single extruder, the information at the bottom of the screen shows multiple extruders and weird heating data? Mine shows up to three extruders and shows the actual temp of the single extruder somewhere in the middle of the jumble info.

AmazingSpanoMan

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-May-Mon-09-May

Sorry, I use octoprint. I've never used anything else.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby KDog » 2014-May-Tue-01-May

It is set for three hot ends in the firmware for some reason. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Printrbot Metal Simple
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Tue-09-May

AmazingSpanoMan wrote:
Mach-Chris wrote:The one I had originally seems to work the same, I reflashed as part of a troubleshooting process, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. But I can't be sure exactly what version was shipped on the board

Do you notice in Repetier that, even though everything is set to a single extruder, the information at the bottom of the screen shows multiple extruders and weird heating data? Mine shows up to three extruders and shows the actual temp of the single extruder somewhere in the middle of the jumble info.

I've got the same thing happening. It's a bit alarming at first, until I realized those were phantom readings for devices I don't have.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby teicher » 2014-May-Wed-21-May

AmazingSpanoMan wrote:
Mach-Chris wrote:I'm running "Marlin.Simple.Inductive.V3.hex" and it's working great for me.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to check that one out. I guess my OCD is just kicking in and I can't help but wonder if this version is in fact the latest version. Do you know what version came shipped on the Metal originally? I'm also wondering if this is the same as the one that was loaded and this is just available just in case you need to reflash.

I've been running V3 for a while now, no issues at all. I suspect this is the current production FW release and what we'll be using for sometime. I got the chance to meet the printrbot team at Maker Faire Bay Area (what a great bunch of guys, all of them!) and talked a bit about the metal simple. Now that Radioshack and others are going to carry this model, they are putting a lot of effort into having docs, firmware, etc. all ready and available in one place so new users have a smooth start into the world of 3D printing and all things printrbot. That everything is linked from the printrbot.com/simple page is not an accident.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby KDog » 2014-May-Wed-23-May

The github version didn't work for me. V3.hex is working great.

Printrbot Metal Simple
KDog
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby teicher » 2014-Jun-Wed-20-Jun

There's another firmware release on printrbot.com/simple, it is dated 6/1/14 and has a different name and version than the one before it: "SimpleV2.hex"

@support_pb tweeted that metal simple owners should upgrade but there isn't any explanation of what it changes or why.

I tried to get some info from github.com/printrbot but didn't find much. I think it might be related to the official Windows 8.1 driver that was just released but that's just pure speculation.

Anyone have some insight?

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mach-Chris » 2014-Jun-Wed-22-Jun

If it isn't broken......

Unless there's a fire risk or something, in which case I would probably upgrade. But unless I know more, I'll probably stick with what I'm running now.

Visit Matrix Online!
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby wasabi_peas » 2014-Jun-Fri-01-Jun

Gang, I'm working with the developers at PB to get these versions sorted and documented better. As soon as I can, I'll update this thread with that information.

wasabi_peas
Levelling print bed...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jun-Fri-03-Jun

wasabi_peas wrote:Gang, I'm working with the developers at PB to get these versions sorted and documented better. As soon as I can, I'll update this thread with that information.

they should consider pushing back into the upstream marlin codebase some of the PB enhancements such as the configerable bed size and the soft probe offset.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby teicher » 2014-Jun-Fri-06-Jun

wasabi_peas wrote:Gang, I'm working with the developers at PB to get these versions sorted and documented better. As soon as I can, I'll update this thread with that information.

Great to hear. I'd love for them to create a firmware download page and include links to the firmware (new and old) for the various bots, plus a description of what each fw fixes/changed from the previous. That would make it so much easier on us.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby wasabi_peas » 2014-Jun-Wed-00-Jun

I'm making slow, but steady progress on this issue of documenting the firmware. Like many of the real contributors, I do this on top of my real job and family commitments. When you get frustrated, please remember that there are many people behind the scenes volunteering their time and talent.

Here's a key thing with the latest firmware: Changes in USB VID/PID (vendor/product IDs) are not made within the project files that have been traditionally stored to GitHub. Instead, these are defined in the hardware section of your Arduino build environment. This is an artifact of the firmware evolution from the Teensyduino.

I've discussed with Laine, and the source files found alongside the releases in the Printrbot Marlin repository on GitHub DO, in fact, reflect the firmware that has been recently released by PBHQ. The thing to keep in mind is that these files were built with tweaks to files OUTSIDE of what is in the GitHub repository.

So if you (like me) have resisted updating to these new versions because you were uncertain about if any features/settings were changed, perhaps you can feel confident in knowing that the only changes relate to the interaction with the drivers on your PC based on the USB information exchanged during enumeration.

I'll continue sharing more as I become smarter. :geek:

wasabi_peas
Levelling print bed...

Postby bres55 » 2014-Jun-Wed-04-Jun

Thanks wasabi_peas for putting in the time. This will be really useful, as there seems to be a lot of issues/confusion, with diferent versions of firmware.
I am currently using bedlevel-v2.hex, by Laine, and after an initial problem that Laine expained, (my dumb error, not thinking straight), it is working fine now.
If there is one thing I could ask for and that would be, something like instead of "Firmware: Marlin", perhaps we could have the version number.
Currently, after Loading the HEX file into Flip, I Edit the code in the Buffer, looking for "Marlin", and replace it with "BedLv2", before I Run the upload, because I forget sometimes, what version I am running on my printer! That way, when I do "Printer Information", I can tell straight away. This is easier, than having to Run Flip, connect etc.
But don't let that take away, how much I appreciate the work you put in. :D

bres55
I'm an end stop.

Return to Simple talk (hardware)