Metal Simple Kit build

Metal Simple Kit build

Postby andychn » 2014-May-Thu-21-May

Completed...
Took 3 hours. Screwed uo connections to the PrintrBoard... the pictorial instructions could BE ALOT BETTER THERE!!!
Got the Delrin part by the Y axis stepper with the Z axis thread backwards!!
and took a while to get the Z- Prox sensor adjusted to the right height with the appropriate offsets inserted into the FW...
But the results???

HOLY CRAP!!!! Freakin AWESOME!!!!

This bot is freakin AMAZING!! I m seeing perfection! ROCK hard stability! Best I've ever seen. Yes I DO have other bots... 2 Rep2 s a Flashforge and a wooden Simple. But the Metal Simple really IS the killer bot. It's EASILY the very best bang for the buck!

I do not recommend the kit though. It's really not worth the $70 savings,

andychn
Levelling print bed...

Metal Simple Kit build

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Metal Simple Kit build

Postby baddox » 2014-May-Fri-00-May

You did it in 3 hours, nice! Well, that's embarrassing. I just got my assembled Metal Simple today, and I've just spend 3 hours unsuccessfully trying to fix the "Command Waiting" problem in Repetier.

baddox
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby andychn » 2014-May-Fri-01-May

baddox wrote:You did it in 3 hours, nice! Well, that's embarrassing. I just got my assembled Metal Simple today, and I've just spend 3 hours unsuccessfully trying to fix the "Command Waiting" problem in Repetier.

Repetier is a PITA! Try rebooting both the bot and Repetier.
I already got my MSimple running with Simplify3D. Works like a champ. You just have to know to add the the G24 x0 Y0 command to the start gCode so it auto levels. Worth the $ for it to me!
Another really good SW app which is free is MatterControl from Matterhackers. It was written by the guy that wrote the code in Marlin for the auto leveling. Pretty easy to use.
If you have a Wooden Simple Mattercontrol will still give you the Z-Height auto leveling without the proximity sensor.

andychn
Levelling print bed...

Postby pvyParts » 2014-May-Fri-02-May

baddox wrote:You did it in 3 hours, nice! Well, that's embarrassing. I just got my assembled Metal Simple today, and I've just spend 3 hours unsuccessfully trying to fix the "Command Waiting" problem in Repetier.

set reset on connect to disabled ;-)

pvyParts
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby clubjuggler » 2014-May-Fri-17-May

Out of curiosity, did you have any problem with your temperature sensor? In my Simple Metal Kit build the temperature sensor for the hot end won't read past 135 degrees. Once it gets that high, it starts reading lower and lower temperatures even as the hot end is hot enough to melt PLA as I push it through it. Same behavior whether the temp sensor is plugged into the hot end port or the bed port. Printrbot sent me a new hot end and I see the exact same behavior with it so it can't be the sensor (unless they have major quality control problems). So, that leaves the printrboard as the possible culprit. Did you have to do anything to your board? New firmware? Could it be the software I'm using? (Repetier-Host Mac 0.56 downloaded direct from the website). I really want to make use of my new printer but as of yet it won't work. :(

clubjuggler
Loading filament...

Postby clubjuggler » 2014-May-Fri-20-May

clubjuggler wrote:Out of curiosity, did you have any problem with your temperature sensor? In my Simple Metal Kit build the temperature sensor for the hot end won't read past 135 degrees. Once it gets that high, it starts reading lower and lower temperatures even as the hot end is hot enough to melt PLA as I push it through it. Same behavior whether the temp sensor is plugged into the hot end port or the bed port. Printrbot sent me a new hot end and I see the exact same behavior with it so it can't be the sensor (unless they have major quality control problems). So, that leaves the printrboard as the possible culprit. Did you have to do anything to your board? New firmware? Could it be the software I'm using? (Repetier-Host Mac 0.56 downloaded direct from the website). I really want to make use of my new printer but as of yet it won't work. :(

So, apparently all I needed to do was update the firmware. After loading the latest firmware that the printrbot people pointed me to, everything seems to work now! :D

clubjuggler
Loading filament...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Sat-10-May

clubjuggler wrote:
So, apparently all I needed to do was update the firmware. After loading the latest firmware that the printrbot people pointed me to, everything seems to work now! :D

What version of the firmware are you using?

AmazingSpanoMan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby clubjuggler » 2014-May-Sat-14-May

AmazingSpanoMan wrote:
clubjuggler wrote:

What version of the firmware are you using?

The link I was sent by Printrbot is http://printrbot.com/wp-content/uploads ... 3.hex_.zip

It seems to work ok, but I've had it just stop in the middle of a print a couple of times, and once I had it just stop communicating to anything and only a reflash would fix things. Not sure what happened with that.

clubjuggler
Loading filament...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)