Xbox PSU power enable for heated bed temp control

Postby Vinoh » 2014-May-Sat-01-May

I'm considering adding a heated bed to my Simple XL, powered by an Xbox 360 supply. Instead of using a relay, I was thinking of using the PrintrBoard heated bed power output connector to control the Power Enable input on the Xbox supply, which I think is turned on with 5V or maybe less, probably at a low current. However, I don't know what the PrintrBoard puts out on that line. Anybody have info on that?

Also, if I add a thermistor for temperature control, I assume the PrintrBoard cycles the power output line on and off to maintain a temperature. Is my assumption correct? This would switch the Xbox supply in and out of standby quite a bit which it would not normally do. Any problem with that?

Thanks.

Vinoh
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Xbox PSU power enable for heated bed temp control

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-May-Sat-07-May

I use an original (203W) Xbox 360 psu to run my pb GO! (V1). It runs the whole thing, including the 8x8 heated bed with no problem, so it might be worth exploring that route rather than complicating things by adding a secondary psu just for the bed.

The 5V lead on the Xbox 360 psu carries 5V and only needs to be connected to enable the power supply (you don't want to send power to it). I have my 5V lead just wired permanently together.

http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3341&p=39266&hilit=xbox+360#p39266

Printrbot GO v.1 - steampunk
Auto bed compensation via endstop wired bed mounts
Thrust bearings and Oldham couplers for the
8mm Igus trapezoidal leadscrews w/
Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
X and Y motors upgraded to Kysans
Twin 30mm fans

http://ei8htohms.tinyparts.net
ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby Vinoh » 2014-May-Sat-08-May

Ah, good to hear the supply can run everything. As I looked into it, I realize I will still have to use something to invert the output of the power controller to drive the power enable line so I might as well just add a relay instead. Or I could just continuously heat the board and not control the temperature at all.

Vinoh
Loading filament...

Postby Vinoh » 2014-May-Sat-10-May

ei8htohms wrote:I use an original (203W) Xbox 360 psu to run my pb GO! (V1). It runs the whole thing, including the 8x8 heated bed with no problem, so it might be worth exploring that route rather than complicating things by adding a secondary psu just for the bed.

The 5V lead on the Xbox 360 psu carries 5V and only needs to be connected to enable the power supply (you don't want to send power to it). I have my 5V lead just wired permanently together.

http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3341&p=39266&hilit=xbox+360#p39266

I got my heated bed working with an Xbox 203W supply and relay. Only problem is that when I power both the Printrboard and heated bed from the Xbox supply, the printer randomly stops printing requiring me to power it off and on to get it working again. When I revert to the original supply for the printer, all is fine. I'm thinking that the supply may be marginal for both, although the voltage seems to be staying up fine. I'm using a protection diode on the relay board but maybe there is still a power glitch when the relay switches. Did you ever have this issue? Thanks.

Vinoh
Loading filament...

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-May-Sat-14-May

Which Xbox 360 psu are you using? The original version is 203W, which seems to be sufficient for running the printrboard and the heated bed, but the later versions (175W?) may not pack enough punch to power both at the the same time.

Printrbot GO v.1 - steampunk
Auto bed compensation via endstop wired bed mounts
Thrust bearings and Oldham couplers for the
8mm Igus trapezoidal leadscrews w/
Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
X and Y motors upgraded to Kysans
Twin 30mm fans

http://ei8htohms.tinyparts.net
ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew

Postby Vinoh » 2014-May-Sat-17-May

ei8htohms wrote:Which Xbox 360 psu are you using? The original version is 203W, which seems to be sufficient for running the printrboard and the heated bed, but the later versions (175W?) may not pack enough punch to power both at the the same time.

203W. Seems to have enough power but maybe it's noise tolerance is down enough that the transients generated by the heater coming on and off cause spikes that screw up the Printrboard. Maybe I should try a capacitor on the relay inputs and outputs?

Vinoh
Loading filament...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-May-Sat-20-May

Also check to see if you have a Chinese version as ive heard of people having lots of issues with them.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby Vinoh » 2014-May-Sun-00-May

REPRAP SQUAD wrote:Also check to see if you have a Chinese version as ive heard of people having lots of issues with them.

Yep - Chinese. Not a big deal though since I can simply keep using the original supply to power my Printrboard.

Vinoh
Loading filament...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)