Metal Simple ROCKS!

Metal Simple ROCKS!

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Apr-Mon-08-Apr

I got my black metal Simple on Friday. I'd been waiting since November of last year for a printer from another vendor who shall remain nameless.
I couldn't wait to try this thing out, but I'd been reading a lot since November about tuning and testing and calibrating. I was prepared to spend hours tweaking to get it to print. I was prepared, but unable to wait, so I plugged it in, downloaded the USB driver, stuffed filament into the extruder, loaded the first cube gcode and hit Run.
IT CAME OUT PERFECT!! I loaded the 2nd sliced print gcode, Fan Shroud and hit run. IT CAME OUT PERFECT! I started surfing Thingaverse, looking for items to print. Loaded up a bunny rabbit (Easter, right?) hit slice, hit print. One hour and 46 minutes latter I had a perfect bunny rabbit to give my wife.

I can't say enough good things about Printrbot. Thanks guys.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Metal Simple ROCKS!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Metal Simple ROCKS!

Postby teicher » 2014-Apr-Mon-19-Apr

Great to hear, this is exactly the kind of story I wanted to hear from someone who bought an assembled bot.

I'm hoping for a similar experience. :)

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby copshop » 2014-Apr-Wed-10-Apr

Good to hear. As my new METAL should arrive this week, I would appreciate some info, when your frenzy slows down.

What software are you using ?
Did you do a Firmware update ?
What surface did you print on ?
Anything else a Newbie like me should know ?

I too am overloaded with Internet information and want to just........Create.......
I have a keychain name tag, for my wife, just waiting to go.

Waiting on the UPS truck . . . .
copshop
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby mcdeal » 2014-Apr-Wed-16-Apr

Good to hear. As my new METAL should arrive this week, I would appreciate some info, when your frenzy slows down.
What software are you using ?
Did you do a Firmware update ?
What surface did you print on ?
Anything else a Newbie like me should know ?
I too am overloaded with Internet information and want to just........Create.......
I have a keychain name tag, for my wife, just waiting to go.

I have changed from "copshop" to "mcdeal" with the help of Mod: plexus
My new bot was just delivered to my doorstep by UPS and I am headed home.

Still interested in the above answers
Will post my experiences as they happen

Simple Metal Silver/Grey Assembled
Started April 22, 2014
Waiting on a bed heater . . . .
mcdeal

Postby acadgatsu » 2014-Apr-Thu-11-Apr

Glad your bot worked so well right out of the box. Hope mine gets here soon!

Assembled Black Metal Simple
acadgatsu
Loading filament...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Apr-Fri-08-Apr

I'm using Repetier, stock firmware (as shipped). Masking tape, brown and/or Blue painters tape. Both worked equally well. I used all the clear PLA that shipped with the unit and have just started printing with white PLA from MatterHackers. (Three day delivery from Cali to Florida)

Longest print so far was three hours, unattended. Make sure you use the G29 gcode to initiate auto bed leveling before printing. I added it to the Custom Gcode section in Slic3r. Make sure the hot end is up to temp before initiating the G29. I added an M109 S200 to the custom GCode before the G29 command. The hot end dimensions change slightly as it heats up.

I do appear to have a fairly tilted build platform. My first measurement at the home position is 1.2 the next at the extreme of the Y travel is 1.7 and at the end of the X travel it's 1.79. The auto bed leveling corrects for it and the prints come out great.

Do watch the auto bed leveling setup video and adjust the hotend offset before printing. It took me about 30 minutes, mainly because I kept pausing the video and making adjustments, then restarting the video. Once it's set, write it to the firmware and forget about it.

Good luck.
Pics at i(dot)imgur(dot)com/nWuJ7d8.jpg
i(dot)imgur(dot)com/kVjb533.jpg

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby altan86 » 2014-Apr-Tue-05-Apr

Hey everyone, I got my Red Simple Metal last week and it worked right out of the box only after I updated the firmware and printed a replacement Z coupler because the stock coupler was damage during delivery. The powder coated bed had a few scratch marks on it as well. I can't believe I paid UPS 150+ USD for such a crappy delivery service... :x

I have already sent a support ticket for broken parts but have yet to received a reply. Hopefully any reply from them whether positive or negative would suffice.

I got the Red Simple Metal because I wanted to impress people with Printrbot's sturdy built and quality printing but for now it looks unprofessional to have a PLA printed part for the Z coupler. :(

So far printing with the PLA coupler is great but I can't recommend the printer as it is to other people who are interested in getting a 3D printer.

altan86

Postby andychn » 2014-Apr-Wed-16-Apr

I hear all the time that 3Dprinter forums are where people come to complain or get something fixed and that you will never read about how good a machine is if you look on forums. Thanks for showing how wrong that is. I just put my order in for a bunch of em! Long Live PrintrBot!

andychn
Levelling print bed...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Fri-10-May

altan86 wrote:Hey everyone, I got my Red Simple Metal last week and it worked right out of the box only after I updated the firmware and printed a replacement Z coupler because the stock coupler was damage during delivery. The powder coated bed had a few scratch marks on it as well. I can't believe I paid UPS 150+ USD for such a crappy delivery service... :x

I have already sent a support ticket for broken parts but have yet to received a reply. Hopefully any reply from them whether positive or negative would suffice.

I got the Red Simple Metal because I wanted to impress people with Printrbot's sturdy built and quality printing but for now it looks unprofessional to have a PLA printed part for the Z coupler. :(

So far printing with the PLA coupler is great but I can't recommend the printer as it is to other people who are interested in getting a 3D printer.

1. I had some trials and tribulations with my Red Limited Edition Simple as well. Turns out the Coupler is a packaging issue and there is very good chance it could get stretched out in shipping. I received the replacement today with no questions asked. Joel at Printrbot explained that they are working on a more robust packaging system to prevent this in the future.

2. I also had the infamous overheating extruder issue that so many people seem to be having. I dialed the POT on the Printrboard as good as I could but either get not enough current or too much causing it to overheat. I double checked that the tensioner wasn't too tight etc. but just wound up installing a fan in front of the extruder and motor. Not it doesn't get hotter than room temp.

3. I'm finding that the probe offset needs to be changed in the firmware on a daily basis. Yesterday I needed to print at a -1.54 offset to get a good squish and stick and today I'm back up to -1.63. Anything higher and the parts either don't stick or solid extrusion isn't filling enough (prime example of being too far away from the bed). I'm hoping that the stretched out coupler is the culprit with this. Can't wait for this print to finish so I can replace it with the new one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmazingSpanoMan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Mon-10-May

I placed a CPU heatsink/fan combo on the extruder stepper motor. Just cabled tied it on top. Temp remains a constant 31C. No further grinding issues, even when printing at Florida ambient temps.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby andychn » 2014-May-Wed-17-May

Ah! I know why you are having heat issues... it's the hot red paint job!!!
Sorry... Only Kidding...
What temps are you printing at? Sometimes people use much higher extruder temps then needed for PLA. 190-210C is the usual.
and... you really should print yourself a plastic spacer sized to fit perfectly for the fan and lose the metal washers. Make it red!

andychn
Levelling print bed...

Postby Jdublu » 2014-May-Thu-07-May

I got a roll of black PLA from MatterHackers. Originally I was printing at 203/200 (first layer/following layers), but I found it has a nicer finish and fewer strings at 200/195.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby AmazingSpanoMan » 2014-May-Fri-08-May

I print between 200 and 210 depending on the filament. I found that Makerbot PLA needs a bit more heat to extrude nicely but others I've been able to extrude closer to 190C like SainSmart PLA on Amazon. It's less expensive and works/look great.

AmazingSpanoMan
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby Pirtnac » 2014-May-Sun-19-May

AmazingSpanoMan wrote:1. I had some trials and tribulations with my Red Limited Edition Simple as well. Turns out the Coupler is a packaging issue and there is very good chance it could get stretched out in shipping. I received the replacement today with no questions asked. Joel at Printrbot explained that they are working on a more robust packaging system to prevent this in the future.

3. I'm finding that the probe offset needs to be changed in the firmware on a daily basis. Yesterday I needed to print at a -1.54 offset to get a good squish and stick and today I'm back up to -1.63. Anything higher and the parts either don't stick or solid extrusion isn't filling enough (prime example of being too far away from the bed). I'm hoping that the stretched out coupler is the culprit with this. Can't wait for this print to finish so I can replace it with the new one.

I can be fairly certain your Z problems are the fault of that stretched coupler. I had one ever so *slightly* stretched, but had the advantage of having an identical coupler on hand from another project. One quick swap later and it's rock solid, no twiddling needed day to day.

Very glad they're working on the packing issue. It looks like when UPS flips the box upside down and treats it like a football all the weight of the arm ends up pulling on that little coupler. They're strong taking the twisting forces they were built for, but tension messes them up.

Edit: Looks like I didn't pay attention to what week it is, you've already got the replacement in.

Pirtnac

Return to Simple talk (hardware)