Printrbot probe

Printrbot probe

Postby killbox » 2014-Apr-Thu-20-Apr

So I saw that Printrbot has released a leveling probe, and I was wondering since it requires a metal bed how is one suppose to print on glass using this? is it powerfully enough to read though the glass? and I guess it's suppose to read off the heat bed?
I saw that they were sold out so I'm assuming that people have brought them. Anyone testing them right now?
  • 0

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234
 
Posts: 343
Joined: 2014-Jan-Thu-17-Jan
Location: Westen Canada
Reputation: 14

Printrbot probe

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby takingblame » 2014-Apr-Thu-23-Apr

The item description doesn't specify what type of sensor it is. I am pretty sure it is an electromagnetic sensor. Using a magnetic field to detect when other metal items are close, hence why it will work only with metal beds. Glass has very little metal in it. Actually more around .1 percent. The sensor would not be able to detect the small amount of metal in the glass bed. If you are adamant about printing on glass, you could use a mechanical switch. Similar to the end stop switches on your printr.
  • 0

User avatar
takingblame
Waiting for extruder temp...
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 2013-Jun-Thu-23-Jun
Reputation: 3

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Fri-00-Apr

takingblame wrote:The item description doesn't specify what type of sensor it is. I am pretty sure it is an electromagnetic sensor. Using a magnetic field to detect when other metal items are close, hence why it will work only with metal beds. Glass has very little metal in it. Actually more around .1 percent. The sensor would not be able to detect the small amount of metal in the glass bed. If you are adamant about printing on glass, you could use a mechanical switch. Similar to the end stop switches on your printr.


I use a sheet of blank PCB (copper clad) over my bed, its very cheap and makes the bed much flatter and more durable, i have the copper side down, so the fiberglass forms the bed surface. Its also very easy to cut and drill, so it can be easily laminated onto the top of the wood bed top plate. I also have one of these inductive sensors, that arrived a few days ago, so I will find out if that is sufficient to make it work. I have a working leveling system with a servo and microswitch, but i want to eliminate the moving parts and the mechanical switch, as I have discovered that it drifts with repeat use, i suspect the continual pressure and minor positioning errors in the servo cause small changes in the height of the switch . It does not seem to affect the leveling function, but makes the z height a little variable which can make the first layer a bit hit or miss.
  • 1

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby vinny1575 » 2014-Apr-Fri-06-Apr

It specifies that its an inductive sensor (metal only) so the only way that it would work would be if it had a range large enough to read through the glass. So say you had 5mm thick glass and the sensor was 10mm then it should work. I wonder if there are any electronics guys here who could confirm this?
  • 0

vinny1575
Levelling print bed...
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 2014-Feb-Sun-08-Feb
Reputation: 0

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby redwood » 2014-Apr-Sat-00-Apr

killbox wrote:I saw that they were sold out so I'm assuming that people have brought them. Anyone testing them right now?


It was marked incorrectly at $5 for a day when it first launched. They sent out an email to everyone who ordered that they will honor the price mistake. I wasn't going to take advantage of someone's error and told them to remove the probe from my order. I wasn't planning on doing that upgrade just yet but it was cheap so added it to my order just to have on hand.

Thank you for ordering our new Auto-Leveling Probe!

We had a real fail in communication here at PBHQ, which resulted in us offering this product before we had received them from our supplier. So, the probes will not ship until Wednesday 4/9. I do apologize for the delay.

The good news is that as we prematurely released this product, we also inadvertently priced it at a pretty steep discount. You may notice that the Auto-Leveling Probe is now priced at $25 at Printrbot.com. You however, are a benefactor of this, as we are gladly honoring the orders that have already been placed at the $5 price point.

Thank you as always for sticking with Printrbot as we go through some of these growing pains. We appreciate your business!
  • 0

Printrbot Plus v2.1
redwood
Printing skirt...
 
Posts: 162
Joined: 2013-Oct-Tue-23-Oct
Reputation: 6

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Sat-01-Apr

redwood wrote:
killbox wrote:I saw that they were sold out so I'm assuming that people have brought them. Anyone testing them right now?


It was marked incorrectly at $5 for a day when it first launched. They sent out an email to everyone who ordered that they will honor the price mistake. I wasn't going to take advantage of someone's error and told them to remove the probe from my order. I wasn't planning on doing that upgrade just yet but it was cheap so added it to my order just to have on hand.

Thank you for ordering our new Auto-Leveling Probe!

We had a real fail in communication here at PBHQ, which resulted in us offering this product before we had received them from our supplier. So, the probes will not ship until Wednesday 4/9. I do apologize for the delay.

The good news is that as we prematurely released this product, we also inadvertently priced it at a pretty s8teep discount. You may notice that the Auto-Leveling Probe is now priced at $25 at Printrbot.com. You however, are a benefactor of this, as we are gladly honoring the orders that have already been placed at the $5 price point.

Thank you as always for sticking with Printrbot as we go through some of these growing pains. We appreciate your business!


Looks like there is quite a bit if markup on that item, they can be had on amazon for much less, if you are willing to put your own connector on the end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MU ... UTF8&psc=1
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby sarahspins » 2014-Apr-Sat-02-Apr

Wow, considering the cost of the molex connectors a DIY solution seems like a no brainer!
  • 0

sarahspins
I'm an end stop.
 
Posts: 64
Joined: 2014-Mar-Mon-16-Mar
Reputation: 7

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby EddB » 2014-Apr-Sat-02-Apr

thawkins wrote:
Looks like there is quite a bit if markup on that item, they can be had on amazon for much less, if you are willing to put your own connector on the end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MU ... UTF8&psc=1


I had one in my cart on pb for $5, but didn't place the order. When I came back in the morning, not only had the price changed to 5x what I originally placed in the cart, but it gave me a message that they where out of stock.
Glad you pointed that one out on amazon. I ordered that exact one a couple nights ago. Glad to see I chose the correct one! (6v though?)
Ed.
  • 0

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 2013-Dec-Thu-00-Dec
Location: Burbank, Calif.
Reputation: 28

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Sat-19-Apr

EddB wrote:
thawkins wrote:
Looks like there is quite a bit if markup on that item, they can be had on amazon for much less, if you are willing to put your own connector on the end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MU ... UTF8&psc=1


I had one in my cart on pb for $5, but didn't place the order. When I came back in the morning, not only had the price changed to 5x what I originally placed in the cart, but it gave me a message that they where out of stock.
Glad you pointed that one out on amazon. I ordered that exact one a couple nights ago. Glad to see I chose the correct one! (6v though?)
Ed.


The output of the sensor is pulled to the supply voltage by a 4.7k resistor internaly, the output is coupled to the collector of the output driver transistor. If you put a 2.7k resitor across ground and the output pin, the output voltage will flip between about 0.8v and about 1/3 of the supply voltage for on/off as the resistor forms a voltagle divider chain with the internal pullup resistor. This means you can drive the sensor with 12v, and still get an output voltage range within the limits for the printrboard. I have 2 fotek sensors and a amico one for testing. The fotek pn-05n sensor is smaller and retangular with two mounting holes, which may be easier to use. Both cost me about 5 dollars.

The downside I have found is that the sensing range is only 3-4 mm, so if you have a glass sheet ontop of your bed it is getting damm close to the glass. I can confirm however it will operate reliably with a piece of blank pcb laid onto a wooden bed,
Copper side down. It will also work with a heatbed pcb, as the track pattern does not seem to make any difference.

I did some tests with mirror glass, in the hope that the silvering would be suffient, but it was very erratic, and in general use I found that the silvering comes off with very little wear.

For folkes that want to use an inductive sensor with a wooden bed and get the flatness of the alu bed, then a blank pcb cut to the bed size, copper side up, with a 2mm thick picture glass ontop would make a good option and could probaly be obtained localy from radioshack and home depot. It would also give all the benifits of an alu bed, without the heat leeching problems that they introduce.

Another approach may be to use a diode inline with the output to prevent current sourcing from the 12v line sensor supply via the internal pull up, and only allow current to sink via the printrboard pullup resistor from the 5v line. I have not tested this yet but it should work as it effectivly converts the output to an open collector sink only form.
  • 1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby EddB » 2014-Apr-Sat-21-Apr

thawkins wrote:
EddB wrote:
thawkins wrote:
Looks like there is quite a bit if markup on that item, they can be had on amazon for much less, if you are willing to put your own connector on the end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MU ... UTF8&psc=1


I had one in my cart on pb for $5, but didn't place the order. When I came back in the morning, not only had the price changed to 5x what I originally placed in the cart, but it gave me a message that they where out of stock.
Glad you pointed that one out on amazon. I ordered that exact one a couple nights ago. Glad to see I chose the correct one! (6v though?)
Ed.


The output of the sensor is pulled to the supply voltage by a 4.7k resistor internaly, the output is coupled to the collector of the output driver transistor. If you put a 2.7k resitor across ground and the output pin, the output voltage will flip between about 0.8v and about 1/3 of the supply voltage for on/off as the resistor forms a voltagle divider chain with the internal pullup resistor. This means you can drive the sensor with 12v, and still get an output voltage range within the limits for the printrboard. I have 2 fotek sensors and a amico one for testing. The fotek pn-05n sensor is smaller and retangular with two mounting holes, which may be easier to use. Both cost me about 5 dollars.


My original hobby was building arduino based robots, which got me into 3d printing. So I am very familiar with voltage dividers for arduino input. I was actually thinking of using a signal relay on the sensor/circuit to remove any chance of wiring it wrong (seen too much magic blue smoke due to bad calculations! :oops:). Any excuse to pick up a soldering iron. Maybe add some colored LEDs as a visual to what the software is seeing from the sensor.
I'm also curious if the sensor is inducing an eddy current for distance sensing similar to how a metal detector works, depending on the frequency, certain metals are more reactive to different frequencies. In a metal detector 3khz will be more sensitive to copper and silver, 15khz sensitive to aluminum/gold. All are detected at both frequencies, just more sensitive to each at the different frequencies. A metal detector working at 15khz will detect gold/aluminum deeper, stronger than one working at 3khz. (that's from my years of metal detecting hobbies).
Not that we are trying to distinguish between metals. But if the sensor works on the same principles as a metal detector, depending on the frequency, it would be more sensitive to certain metals over others. Copper on one end and aluminum being at the other. Is it as sensitive to aluminum foil? Copper could work better than an aluminum bed if it's a lower khz. Size and material composition could have a different trigger point on the sensor, not just distance.
If the sensor doesn't work this way, then that theory doesn't apply! Something I am curious to explore.
  • 0

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 2013-Dec-Thu-00-Dec
Location: Burbank, Calif.
Reputation: 28

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Sun-01-Apr

EddB wrote:
My original hobby was building arduino based robots, which got me into 3d printing. So I am very familiar with voltage dividers for arduino input. I was actually thinking of using a signal relay on the sensor/circuit to remove any chance of wiring it wrong (seen too much magic blue smoke due to bad calculations! :oops:). Any excuse to pick up a soldering iron. Maybe add some colored LEDs as a visual to what the software is seeing from the sensor.
I'm also curious if the sensor is inducing an eddy current for distance sensing similar to how a metal detector works, depending on the frequency, certain metals are more reactive to different frequencies. In a metal detector 3khz will be more sensitive to copper and silver, 15khz sensitive to aluminum/gold. All are detected at both frequencies, just more sensitive to each at the different frequencies. A metal detector working at 15khz will detect gold/aluminum deeper, stronger than one working at 3khz. (that's from my years of metal detecting hobbies).
Not that we are trying to distinguish between metals. But if the sensor works on the same principles as a metal detector, depending on the frequency, it would be more sensitive to certain metals over others. Copper on one end and aluminum being at the other. Is it as sensitive to aluminum foil? Copper could work better than an aluminum bed if it's a lower khz. Size and material composition could have a different trigger point on the sensor, not just distance.
If the sensor doesn't work this way, then that theory doesn't apply! Something I am curious to explore.


I put a video up of the two sensors that Im using, im using a pcb over the top of a wooden bed, so Im actually using a copper plane. One thing folks need to be aware of is that the old fashioned servo and microswitch detects the "plane" of the top of your bed, whereas the inductive probe detects the plane of the metal laayer, if you have galss or tape etc over the top of it its not the same thing, it a good thing to remember.

Here is a video i cut showing two sensors im playing around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcR9Dp5lBE4
  • 1

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby EddB » 2014-Apr-Sun-15-Apr

I got my sensor yeaterday. Love Amazon's saturday fedex service!
As you mentioned in your video, I am very surprised by the weight of the cylindrical sensor. It's like add another extruder to the end. I think I am going to order the little plastic fostek as well.
  • 0

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 2013-Dec-Thu-00-Dec
Location: Burbank, Calif.
Reputation: 28

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby EddB » 2014-Apr-Mon-22-Apr

thawkins wrote:
I put a video up of the two sensors that Im using, im using a pcb over the top of a wooden bed, so Im actually using a copper plane. One thing folks need to be aware of is that the old fashioned servo and microswitch detects the "plane" of the top of your bed, whereas the inductive probe detects the plane of the metal laayer, if you have galss or tape etc over the top of it its not the same thing, it a good thing to remember.


I have ordered the fotek ps-05n as well as a 9.8"x12.6" piece of 3.3mm borosilicate glass. I intend to use the glass as my bed and was hoping the heatbed under it would be enough to trigger the sensor. But I would loose a ton of bed space. You memtioned the pcb copper. Got me thinking that I used to have a roll of copper in the garage from an old embossing project. I do! It's 8mil 20"by10 foot roll. I'm thinking I can attach it to the bottom of the glass with some kapton tape. If that glass is too much of an insulator, I'm thinking I can toss a piece of the copper foil on top of the glass to level it, remove and print. Or flip the glass and print on copper covered with kapton (cheaper thin "koptan" polyimide tape really, but remarkable to print on!)
  • 0

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 2013-Dec-Thu-00-Dec
Location: Burbank, Calif.
Reputation: 28

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Tue-00-Apr

EddB wrote:
thawkins wrote:
I put a video up of the two sensors that Im using, im using a pcb over the top of a wooden bed, so Im actually using a copper plane. One thing folks need to be aware of is that the old fashioned servo and microswitch detects the "plane" of the top of your bed, whereas the inductive probe detects the plane of the metal laayer, if you have galss or tape etc over the top of it its not the same thing, it a good thing to remember.


I have ordered the fotek ps-05n as well as a 9.8"x12.6" piece of 3.3mm borosilicate glass. I intend to use the glass as my bed and was hoping the heatbed under it would be enough to trigger the sensor. But I would loose a ton of bed space. You memtioned the pcb copper. Got me thinking that I used to have a roll of copper in the garage from an old embossing project. I do! It's 8mil 20"by10 foot roll. I'm thinking I can attach it to the bottom of the glass with some kapton tape. If that glass is too much of an insulator, I'm thinking I can toss a piece of the copper foil on top of the glass to level it, remove and print. Or flip the glass and print on copper covered with kapton (cheaper thin "koptan" polyimide tape really, but remarkable to print on!)


you may need to have it on top of the glass, 3.3 mm glass is at the limit of the sensors detection range, i was using 1.5 mm glass in the video and it was triggering about 2 mm above the glass. i think the sensor is speced at 4 mm, but your mileage may vary.
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Wed-07-Apr

thawkins wrote:
EddB wrote:
I have ordered the fotek ps-05n as well as a 9.8"x12.6" piece of 3.3mm borosilicate glass. I intend to use the glass as my bed and was hoping the heatbed under it would be enough to trigger the sensor. But I would loose a ton of bed space. You memtioned the pcb copper. Got me thinking that I used to have a roll of copper in the garage from an old embossing project. I do! It's 8mil 20"by10 foot roll. I'm thinking I can attach it to the bottom of the glass with some kapton tape. If that glass is too much of an insulator, I'm thinking I can toss a piece of the copper foil on top of the glass to level it, remove and print. Or flip the glass and print on copper covered with kapton (cheaper thin "koptan" polyimide tape really, but remarkable to print on!)


you may need to have it on top of the glass, 3.3 mm glass is at the limit of the sensors detection range, i was using 1.5 mm glass in the video and it was triggering about 2 mm above the glass. i think the sensor is speced at 4 mm, but your mileage may vary.


I have just done a load of tests with the two fostek ps-05n sensors and have discovered that:

a) they are stable with a 5v supply, even though they are speced at 6-36v, it was still working at 4v, but the hysterisis had increased (difference in position between on and off point). that's not a problem as the z probe is always moving down towards the bed during probing operations.

B) the detection point onto a copper PCB plate is about 7mm. More than i expected, both the sensors are doing this, so its not unique to one device.

So it can just be wired directly into the zstop plug on both the ramps and the printerboard, without any need for 12v. However, the switching is inverted with respect to the normaly closed mechanical switch which pulls the input to ground on its NC contacts, so marlin will need to be set to invert the input pin. You could wire a TTL 74LS06 inverter in if you want to keep it plug compatable with the existing switch.
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby EddB » 2014-Apr-Thu-22-Apr

THawkins,
Have you taken a look at the datasheet for these sensors?
www.fotek.com.tw/pdf/etc_221.pdf

Page 7 shows what I mentioned earlier. That the max distance is based on the material you are using to trigger it. The max distance of one is 4mm, but that is based on 1mm thick steel equal width to your detecting distance (probe 4mm then steel needs to be 1mm tall and 4x4mm wide for max distance) Other materials are less sensitive/distance detection.

Steel is the max 1.0 x 4mm
Chrome and nickle are 0.9 x 4mm
Brass is 0.5 x 4mm
Aluminum and copper are only 0.4 x 4mm

Interesting since you may have steel or chrome screws/hardware under the copper which may give a false reading before the copper is in range. The chrome hardened rods may trigger it before aluminum or copper sitting on top of the bed? I don't thinks so with 4mm range, but a better sensor capable of 7-10mm distance might.
Haven't had a chance to work with mine yet, but they are going to be very interesting to experiment with.
Ed
  • 0

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 2013-Dec-Thu-00-Dec
Location: Burbank, Calif.
Reputation: 28

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Thu-23-Apr

EddB wrote:THawkins,
Have you taken a look at the datasheet for these sensors?
http://www.fotek.com.tw/pdf/etc_221.pdf

Page 7 shows what I mentioned earlier. That the max distance is based on the material you are using to trigger it. The max distance of one is 4mm, but that is based on 1mm thick steel equal width to your detecting distance (probe 4mm then steel needs to be 1mm tall and 4x4mm wide for max distance) Other materials are less sensitive/distance detection.

Steel is the max 1.0 x 4mm
Chrome and nickle are 0.9 x 4mm
Brass is 0.5 x 4mm
Aluminum and copper are only 0.4 x 4mm

Interesting since you may have steel or chrome screws/hardware under the copper which may give a false reading before the copper is in range. The chrome hardened rods may trigger it before aluminum or copper sitting on top of the bed? I don't thinks so with 4mm range, but a better sensor capable of 7-10mm distance might.
Haven't had a chance to work with mine yet, but they are going to be very interesting to experiment with.
Ed


I will know more tonight, I have my sensor wired in now and mounted, and I can see it turning on and off about 6.5mm above the copper pcb surface. I have tried it in each corner and the center and I'm seeing about 0.05mm hysterisis, but it does at first sight seem to be accurate.

I'm hacking on marlin tonight to get it working, I can already see it working using m119, but the sense is inverted. I will post a video once I get it going. my bed is wood with a pcb covering, So its a very thin layer of copper. Because the bed is not guarenteed to be flat, I will try a 3x3 or 4x4 matrix accurate bed leveling mode, it should be quick if its not flipping the servo up and down.

Note I just ordered two more sensors from amazon, which where labled in the title as NC, but after they shipped I discovered that one of comments stated they where mislabled, and are actualy NO. Ahh well.
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Sat-00-Apr

Ok folks here are the results of my tests with the PS-05N inductive sensor.

For these tests I compiled Marlin to use a 5x5 point accurate leveling run, and I ran it with my servo and microswitch arrangement first, and then with the PS-O5N. I ran each test 3 times. The first 3 results here are the servo/microswitch, and the last 3 are with the inductive sensor. The differences in the x/y and detection positions between the two tests is due to small differences in the geometry of the probe arrangement.

CONCLUSION: the inductive sensor has the same accuracy, with a max run to run deviation of about 0.05mm per point, BUT its much much faster, as the deployment time and settling time for the servo is not required, and you don't need to raise and pull back so far on each probe to clear the end of the microswitch from the bed.

MOD Note: Text converted to "Code" so it is scrollable but doesn't take up as much space in the post.

Code: Select all
Marlin1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Apr 12 2014 13:34:14 | Author: (thawkins, Simple/RAMPS2)
Compiled: Apr 12 2014
echo: Free Memory: 3015  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echo:Steps per unit:
echo:  M92 X100.00 Y100.00 Z2015.75 E102.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo:  M203 X1000.00 Y1000.00 Z5.00 E25.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo:  M201 X1500 Y1500 Z100 E10000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo:  M204 S1500.00 T500.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:PID settings:
echo:   M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
echo:SD init fail

ok
Bed x: 20.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.43
Bed x: 57.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.51
Bed x: 94.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.32
Bed x: 131.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.59
Bed x: 168.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.70
Bed x: 170.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.86
Bed x: 133.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.47
Bed x: 96.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.14
Bed x: 59.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.38
Bed x: 22.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.37
Bed x: 20.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.23
Bed x: 57.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.14
Bed x: 94.00 y: 40.00 z: 14.97
Bed x: 131.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.34
Bed x: 168.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.68
Bed x: 170.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.51
Bed x: 133.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.18
Bed x: 96.00 y: 55.00 z: 14.74
Bed x: 59.00 y: 55.00 z: 14.90
Bed x: 22.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.03
Bed x: 20.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.60
Bed x: 57.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.59
Bed x: 94.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.60
Bed x: 131.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.81
Bed x: 168.00 y: 70.00 z: 15.23
Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: -0.01 d: 15.43
planeNormal x: -0.00 y: 0.01 z: 1.00
ok
echo:endstops hit:  Y:0.02 Z:15.23
ok
Bed x: 20.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.49
Bed x: 57.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.74
Bed x: 94.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.55
Bed x: 131.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.68
Bed x: 168.00 y: 10.00 z: 15.92
Bed x: 170.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.80
Bed x: 133.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.52
Bed x: 96.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.33
Bed x: 59.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.45
Bed x: 22.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.51
Bed x: 20.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.43
Bed x: 57.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.33
Bed x: 94.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.07
Bed x: 131.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.48
Bed x: 168.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.88
Bed x: 170.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.64
Bed x: 133.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.20
Bed x: 96.00 y: 55.00 z: 14.84
Bed x: 59.00 y: 55.00 z: 14.95
Bed x: 22.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.12
Bed x: 20.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.68
Bed x: 57.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.55
Bed x: 94.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.68
Bed x: 131.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.87
Bed x: 168.00 y: 70.00 z: 15.36
Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: -0.01 d: 15.59
planeNormal x: -0.00 y: 0.01 z: 1.00
ok
echo:endstops hit:  Y:0.04 Z:15.36
Bed x: 133.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.52
Bed x: 96.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.33
Bed x: 59.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.45
Bed x: 22.00 y: 25.00 z: 15.51
Bed x: 20.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.43
Bed x: 57.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.33
Bed x: 94.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.07
Bed x: 131.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.48
Bed x: 168.00 y: 40.00 z: 15.88
Bed x: 170.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.64
Bed x: 133.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.20
Bed x: 96.00 y: 55.00 z: 14.84
Bed x: 59.00 y: 55.00 z: 14.95
Bed x: 22.00 y: 55.00 z: 15.12
Bed x: 20.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.68
Bed x: 57.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.55
Bed x: 94.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.68
Bed x: 131.00 y: 70.00 z: 14.87
Bed x: 168.00 y: 70.00 z: 15.36
Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: -0.01 d: 15.59
planeNormal x: -0.00 y: 0.01 z: 1.00
ok
echo:endstops hit:  Y:0.04 Z:15.36


start
echo: External Reset
Marlin1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Apr 12 2014 13:51:59 | Author: (thawkins, Simple/RAMPS2)
Compiled: Apr 12 2014
echo: Free Memory: 3180  PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echo:Steps per unit:
echo:  M92 X100.00 Y100.00 Z2015.75 E102.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo:  M203 X1000.00 Y1000.00 Z5.00 E25.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo:  M201 X1500 Y1500 Z100 E10000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo:  M204 S1500.00 T500.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s),  Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s),  E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo:  M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo:  M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:PID settings:
echo:   M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
echo:SD init fail
ok
Bed x: 5.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.54
Bed x: 43.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.64
Bed x: 81.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.70
Bed x: 119.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.76
Bed x: 157.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.90
Bed x: 160.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.66
Bed x: 122.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.50
Bed x: 84.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.43
Bed x: 46.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.43
Bed x: 8.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.49
Bed x: 5.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.31
Bed x: 43.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.25
Bed x: 81.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.19
Bed x: 119.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.24
Bed x: 157.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.46
Bed x: 160.00 y: 55.00 z: 6.22
Bed x: 122.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.91
Bed x: 84.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.86
Bed x: 46.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.88
Bed x: 8.00 y: 55.00 z: 6.05
Bed x: 5.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.63
Bed x: 43.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.34
Bed x: 81.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.27
Bed x: 119.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.51
Bed x: 157.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.77
Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: -0.02 d: 6.88
planeNormal x: -0.00 y: 0.02 z: 1.00
ok
echo:endstops hit:  Z:5.77
ok
Bed x: 5.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.62
Bed x: 43.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.73
Bed x: 81.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.78
Bed x: 119.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.85
Bed x: 157.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.98
Bed x: 160.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.75
Bed x: 122.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.61
Bed x: 84.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.51
Bed x: 46.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.51
Bed x: 8.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.55
Bed x: 5.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.35
Bed x: 43.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.31
Bed x: 81.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.23
Bed x: 119.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.31
Bed x: 157.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.52
Bed x: 160.00 y: 55.00 z: 6.27
Bed x: 122.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.96
Bed x: 84.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.89
Bed x: 46.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.91
Bed x: 8.00 y: 55.00 z: 6.11
Bed x: 5.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.68
Bed x: 43.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.40
Bed x: 81.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.33
Bed x: 119.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.56
Bed x: 157.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.82
Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: -0.02 d: 6.96
planeNormal x: -0.00 y: 0.02 z: 1.00
ok
echo:endstops hit:  Z:5.82
ok
Bed x: 5.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.62
Bed x: 43.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.70
Bed x: 81.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.75
Bed x: 119.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.82
Bed x: 157.00 y: 10.00 z: 6.95
Bed x: 160.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.74
Bed x: 122.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.58
Bed x: 84.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.52
Bed x: 46.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.51
Bed x: 8.00 y: 25.00 z: 6.56
Bed x: 5.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.36
Bed x: 43.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.31
Bed x: 81.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.25
Bed x: 119.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.31
Bed x: 157.00 y: 40.00 z: 6.54
Bed x: 160.00 y: 55.00 z: 6.28
Bed x: 122.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.99
Bed x: 84.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.93
Bed x: 46.00 y: 55.00 z: 5.95
Bed x: 8.00 y: 55.00 z: 6.13
Bed x: 5.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.68
Bed x: 43.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.45
Bed x: 81.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.36
Bed x: 119.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.58
Bed x: 157.00 y: 70.00 z: 5.84
Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: -0.02 d: 6.94
planeNormal x: -0.00 y: 0.02 z: 1.00
ok
echo:endstops hit:  Z:5.85
  • 1

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby EddB » 2014-Apr-Sat-01-Apr

I was researching inductive sensors when I read about capacitive sensors. They can detect almost any surface (i.e. Non metalic). And they use a potentiometer to adjust the distance. Usually less than 30mm. I am wondering why no one has mentioned them for bed leveling (level one of their uses it is ideal for). Some of the surfaces they can detect are glass, wood, and paper, plastic, ceramic and even liquids.
The article I read is http://sensortech.wordpress.com/2014/03 ... ty-sensor/
The site covers all types of sensors used in manufacturing equipment. I might just pick up a couple of them to play with as well (if they are priced like inductive sensors.) it would be perfect if it could level using glass!
Ed
  • 0

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 376
Joined: 2013-Dec-Thu-00-Dec
Location: Burbank, Calif.
Reputation: 28

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby thawkins » 2014-Apr-Sat-03-Apr

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

I was just about to do a load of test prints with my nice new autoleveled bed, and my heatbed stopped working, all the moving of the bed, and fixing and unfixing it and one of the legs has fallen off the thermistor.

Fortunatly I have some spares, but its a pain as I will have to dimantle the whole bed again,
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby jwiede » 2014-Apr-Sun-15-Apr

So more back to the printrbot probe, as opposed to others, the item description mentions printable fixtures for attaching to Simple 2014/Makers being available, but I cannot seem to find them anywhere in the support section.

Does anyone know where the printable attachment fixtures for the printrbot probes are located on their site?
  • 0

Last edited by jwiede on 2014-Apr-Tue-05-Apr, edited 1 time in total.
John W.
Printrbot Simple Metal (2015, +PBHB +X250 +Z250) & MakerFarm i3v (+RADDS +Titan +E3DV6...)
User avatar
jwiede
Waiting for extruder temp...
 
Posts: 99
Joined: 2014-Feb-Sat-20-Feb
Reputation: 2

Re: Printrbot probe

Postby ei8htohms » 2014-Apr-Sun-22-Apr

EddB wrote:I was researching inductive sensors when I read about capacitive sensors. ... I am wondering why no one has mentioned them for bed leveling (level one of their uses it is ideal for). Some of the surfaces they can detect are glass, wood, and paper, plastic, ceramic and even liquids.


This sounds like a great idea and I'd love to find out if you have any luck with them. I'd love to add bed leveling to my GO V.1 but don't really want to commit to a metal bed (I quite like glass).
  • 0

Printrbot GO v.1 - steampunk
Auto bed compensation via endstop wired bed mounts
Thrust bearings and Oldham couplers for the
8mm Igus trapezoidal leadscrews w/
Igus DryLin nuts
PB LCD/encoder
GT2 belts
X and Y motors upgraded to Kysans
Twin 30mm fans

http://ei8htohms.tinyparts.net
User avatar
ei8htohms
ACME leadscrew
 
Posts: 364
Joined: 2013-Jan-Sat-18-Jan
Location: NYC
Reputation: 23


Return to Simple talk (hardware)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest