Conversion to ATX Power Supply w/o Y-cable?

Postby Maves230 » 2014-Jan-Tue-18-Jan

Short time lurker hoping to become more involved with the forum as I learn more about this neat little machine!

I want to convert my Simple over to an ATX power supply, but noticed the kit with the Y-cable is out of stock pretty often. Is there any way to go about splitting the power to run the printrboard + some fans + a heated bed in the future without this cable from Printrbot? Perhaps I'm just missing where I can purchase it or if there is a suitable DIY solution. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Printrbot Simple v2
Maves230
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Conversion to ATX Power Supply w/o Y-cable?

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Tue-20-Jan

I'm not certain about this, but I think that one of the plugs from the ATX power supply is directly compatible with the rectangular 4-pin plug on the Printrboard.

The Y-cable is used to increase the power-handling capacity (wires in parallel to share the load). But if your Simple does not have a heated bed, you don't need to use the Y cable as the power drain is easily within the capacity of a single set of wires. It's the heated bed that is the power hog.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Maves230 » 2014-Jan-Thu-17-Jan

Thanks for the info! I may end up having to splice together my own cable depending on the load of my heat bed. It's somewhere in the realm of 7-8amps @12v from my understanding of the one I'm planning on getting. (The 4.5"x6" bed on Makerfarm, spam blocks won't allow for a link).

It's good to know I can run everything off an ATX normally until I get the bed in the mail. I'm already running fans off an external supply and having both is a bit cumbersome.

Printrbot Simple v2
Maves230
Loading filament...

Postby Maves230 » 2014-Jan-Sun-12-Jan

Good news! I got the heatbed in the mail much sooner than expected! I bought a 400W power supply at MicroCenter, along with a 4-pin ATX extension + molex splitter to create my own Frankenstein Y-Cable.

After studying the pictures on the power supply instructions from Printrbot, I pulled the cable harnesses apart and re-crimped everything until the cable was showing parallel output on the male 4-pin from the PSU when hooked up. Wired up the heatbed directly to the Printrboard and the first test run was very accurate heating! I got the 4-pin connecter from a PSU, so let's hope it's rated high enough to not burn out. It's only a 4x6.5" bed anyways.

Next step is to do a another test with it attached to my aluminum build surface. Bored holes earlier today and just need to bolt the bed on.

Printrbot Simple v2
Maves230
Loading filament...

Postby tfmccull » 2014-Mar-Wed-13-Mar

I'm needing to switch over to a new power supply after adding a heated bed to my simple.

Is there a wiring diagram somewhere i can follow. Does one power lead go to the printrboard and another directly to the heated bed?

tfmccull
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Mar-Wed-15-Mar

Here is the wiring diagram as "normally" connected. Many people use a relay instead of the MOSFET on the Printrboard. As you can see, you can wire one terminal of the heated bed directly to +12V if you want. The red and black colors shown for the heated bed connection in this diagram are not guaranteed to be correct for all installations. The MOSFET controlled connector pins are the ones closest to the corner of the Printrboard; the steady +12V connector pins are the ones closest to the Hot End heater connector.
NormalPSUWiringToHeatBed.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Maves230 » 2014-Mar-Wed-16-Mar

Yup! This is what I did with the custom y cable I crimped together. If you aren't running a huge bed (4"x6.5" in my case), there's really no need for a relay.

Printrbot Simple v2
Maves230
Loading filament...

Postby KC_703 » 2014-May-Wed-08-May

I'm looking to do this conversion for my Metal Simple soon. Anyone know the name of the connectors? Or better yet a link to Digikey?

I've got a few old defunct desktops... I knew I kept those for a reason :) Might be able to cannibalize a few to get the right connectors... but I'd rather just buy new and crimp fresh.

KC_703
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-May-Wed-08-May

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby KC_703 » 2014-May-Wed-10-May

Thanks!

I think I review many of the pages from your "stickied" post. :)

I don't think they mentioned the 12v 2x2 square connector... but I'll check the wiki for specificaitons/models.

Again, thanks for all your contribution to the boards. Its helped this newbie tremendously!
Ken

KC_703
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)