What did you wish someone told you when you started?

Postby joshmarinacci » 2013-Dec-Wed-14-Dec

I'm working on a new Getting Started Guide for the Printrbot Simple v2, since I bet a bunch of people will be opening them up Christmas morning. I'd like your help.

What did you wish someone had told you when you set up your first 3D printer? What would have helped you get going quickly and cut down on the frustration?

Thanks,
Josh

joshmarinacci
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What did you wish someone told you when you started?

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Dec-Wed-15-Dec

Just an FYI there is already a very comprehensive simple v2 guide on here that goes through all of what you speak of. I just don't want you to spend a lot of time on something that's already been done. Happy building.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:
http://www.enviousmods.com

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby joshmarinacci » 2013-Dec-Wed-15-Dec

Yes. I read that one. It was a good help. Mine is a cleaned up version of that one with new information, more photos, and specific to V2.

joshmarinacci
Loading filament...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Dec-Wed-16-Dec

If you got the time then more power to ya. I like how you are wanting to help others as I believe that is what the maker movement is all about. If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby joshmarinacci » 2013-Dec-Thu-01-Dec

Here's my first draft.

http://joshondesign.com/p/books/simpleguide/text.html

It needs editing and a bunch of missing photos, but the core text is there.

joshmarinacci
Loading filament...

Postby bjkemp » 2013-Dec-Thu-11-Dec

This looks really great so far. There's a Simple sitting under our tree with my name on it and I appreciate you taking the time to make this guide!

bjkemp
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Dec-Thu-15-Dec

Looks great so far. Only thing I could think to add is something about glass etc print surfaces as the wood platform is known to warp causing huge headaches when leveling the bed. I use a sheet of Lexan as its cheap and typically very level. Also it works great for PLA. Other than they great job and keep up the good work.

PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby joshmarinacci » 2013-Dec-Thu-18-Dec

A new edit is up with a bunch of new photos and diagrams.

joshmarinacci
Loading filament...

Postby trsills » 2013-Dec-Fri-11-Dec

I did a quick scan of the document, and as a new user with a Simple, here are a few items that I've had to learn the hard way.

- Install a fan on the extruder. I was frustratingly getting jams and clogged print heads to the point I was about to toss the printer cause I was spending hours troubleshooting, tearing it apart, and cleaning it out. Once I rigged a fan up on the extruder my problems went away.

- Also, higher temps with PLA doesn't solve the other problems such as the flow issues I was having. But I remember trying to print at 205, 210, etc. This eventually lead to a clogged nozzle where the filament appeared to crystallize. So I'd be concerned about the head cleaning approach of going to 220 as it might worsen the issue (although I've read you eventually may need a blow torch to clean out PLA).

- Use rubbing alcohol on the tape to get prints to stick. Doing a quick swab with a small amount on the print surface and the parts will easily adhere to the tape.

- Store the filament in sealed containers and keep the moisture collecting packets that come with the filament rolls. I currently place mine within large zip lock bags. People have said they have large containers with rice or kitty litter to absorb moisture for those in humid areas.

- Don't forget to enable bridging on some pieces.

- Lastly, you can't emphasize calibration enough. Remind users that if they're printing at a layer of .2mm then a variance of movement +/- 1-2mm will have a significant impact. As well as all axis need to be in alignment, so that Y axis droop of 2-3mm doesn't visually seem like much, but you'll be chasing your setup to compensate for it.

trsills
Print winner 3rd
Print winner 3rd

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Dec-Fri-11-Dec

You are right on the money. I store mine in a sealable Rubbermaid container with a sort of false bottom that has a bunch of small holes drilled in it. Under the false bottom it is full of kitty litter and I also throw in those little absorbing packets that come with shoes etc. Periodically I rotate. An easy way to tell if you have a major issue with water in your filament is that steam comes out of your hotend when printing.

PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby joshmarinacci » 2013-Dec-Mon-13-Dec

I've put up a final version of the new Simple Guide.

This includes more examples of calibration and diagnosing print problems. I've also scaled down the photos and changed them to links to the full res.
I think it's ready to go. The source for the whole is in github so others can make changes.

Christmas morning when everyone opens their Simples let's post this so everyone can find it.

Thanks,
Josh

joshmarinacci
Loading filament...

Postby 2Elemental » 2014-Jan-Tue-08-Jan

Thanks for this amazing guide. I should have my Printrbot Simple V2 delivered today, and I will definitely use your guide to set it all up!

[EDIT]
I received my Printrbot Simple V2, had lots of fun assembling it, and am printing my first few tests. Along the line,
I gathered following questions, which I'm hoping someone can answer for me and which might be a good addition to the guide:

1) How tensioned does the bolt on the extruder/fan need to be and is this different per material type (PLA/Nylon)?
2) I always need to give my fan a little push before it starts running, before that it's only making a squeeking sound
3) I also bought the metal (aluminium) bed, but haven't tried it yet. Do you also need to use tape on an aluminium bed and/or is this different per material?
4) What's the best way to level the bed, just by checking the distance between the nozzle and the different corners?
5) My Y axis motor becomes quite hot, and I already adjusted the pots (the pots thing might be nice to mention in the guide). Could it be that I overtensioned the fishing line for the Y axis?

Thanks in advance

2Elemental

Postby joshmarinacci » 2014-Jan-Thu-13-Jan

1) I'm not sure. I haven't been able to make it over-tight yet. My main problem is the opposite: that the filament eventually slips to one side or the other. They key is making sure the hobbed gear is perfectly centered with the roller bearing.

2) I haven't seen that before. Make sure you don't have any loose wires and that there is no dust or debris caught in it. If that doesn't work then contact Printrbot support.

3) I haven't tried the aluminum bed yet either (it's on order). My understanding is that without a heater it acts just like the plywood one, except more durable. You should still use tape on it for PLA. For ABS you will really want it heated.

4) yep. That's how you do it.

5) Mine get's pretty warm too. Are all of the steppers equally warm or is the Y more than the others?

joshmarinacci
Loading filament...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Jan-Thu-14-Jan

2Elemental wrote:Thanks for this amazing guide. I should have my Printrbot Simple V2 delivered today, and I will definitely use your guide to set it all up!

[EDIT]
I received my Printrbot Simple V2, had lots of fun assembling it, and am printing my first few tests. Along the line,
I gathered following questions, which I'm hoping someone can answer for me and which might be a good addition to the guide:

1) How tensioned does the bolt on the extruder/fan need to be and is this different per material type (PLA/Nylon)?
I haven't had to change the tension for different filaments, once I found that sweet spot it has worked well since with no changes.

2) I always need to give my fan a little push before it starts running, before that it's only making a squeeking sound
In slic3r there are settings under cooling for your fan settings, turn up the minimum. If your minimum fan level is too low than it doesn't get enough power on low to get turning.

3) I also bought the metal (aluminium) bed, but haven't tried it yet. Do you also need to use tape on an aluminium bed and/or is this different per material?
Yes use blue painters tape on aluminum.

4) What's the best way to level the bed, just by checking the distance between the nozzle and the different corners?
I use a dial gauge when leveling my bed and it gets it as bout as accurate as you can be. Also make sure that you have a decent amount of spring tension when leveling as it will help to keep everything from wiggling.

5) My Y axis motor becomes quite hot, and I already adjusted the pots (the pots thing might be nice to mention in the guide). Could it be that I overtensioned the fishing line for the Y axis?
I'm not a 100% sure but doesn't the simple have a smaller motor for the y axis? This could be the reason for it running a bit hotter. Any motor that is under the most amount of usage will get hotter but, you want to be able to keep your hand on it and while without burning yourself. If it's too hot than look into adjusting pots. If pots are 100% correct and it's still hot than look into fan or heatsinks on that motor. I run heatsinks on both of my extruder motors and they run nice and cool.

Thanks in advance

PC Case Mods 3D printed:

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby Jdublu » 2014-Apr-Wed-09-Apr

Buy an extra roll of filament. Once you get everything working, it's a drag to have to stop printing and wait for filament to arrive.

Metal Simple
E stepper heatsink w/fan
Z axis stepper heatsink w/fan
Extruder fan
Hotbed relay fan
6"x6" Heater board
40 Amp power supply
Matrix-Precision 8" x 8" aluminum bed X-Y upgrade
Matrix-Precision 10" Z axis upgrade
S. Florida
Jdublu
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby 09ZX-6R » 2014-Sep-Thu-22-Sep

i wish someone would have told me not to piece my own kit together just yet... and to get very familiar with the basics... shoulda bought a PB kit...but no i decided to do my own kit... but seem to have jumped the gun big time cuz now im stuck tryin to find a structure to put all the parts into...

09ZX-6R

Return to Simple talk (hardware)