Issues with Simple: firmware, z-banding

Postby LorenzoSCA » 2013-Dec-Sun-13-Dec

Good afternoon, all
I have some issues with my Simple that I haven't been able to sort out, hopefully some of you can.

1. Twice now, I've tried to print something in the morning only to find the firmware is shot. It worked last night, but this morning the printer wouldn't connect to the computer until I put it in bootloader mode. After reloading the firmware, it works. Easy to fix, but annoying. Any idea what causes it?

2. After printing, when it is supposed to go to XY home, it goes to Y home and X 130, which means it actually goes to X100 and grinds for 30mm worth of motor turning. I have the X max set as 100 in both Repetier and Slic3r. Is there another setting I'm missing? Btw, when it hit the X home button in repetier, it goes to X0 like it should.

3. Z-banding. I've read several articles on this forum, and I thought I understood it. But with my z steps per mm set to 2020 (a number I got by measuring the movement) and a layer thickness of 0.3mm (which is 606 steps) I still get z-banding. What am I overlooking?

LorenzoSCA
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Issues with Simple: firmware, z-banding

Postby PxT » 2013-Dec-Thu-01-Dec

What kind of Z axis leadscrew does your machine use? The current Simples use Acme rod which should have a Z calibration of 2015.75, and the ideal layer height would then be 0.2937. See http://calculator.josefprusa.cz

Not sure about your other issues off the top of my head.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby LorenzoSCA » 2013-Dec-Thu-23-Dec

It's the standard acme screw, in a Simple made about a month ago. I tried again with your numbers and I got exactly the same result as with mine. I'm assuming the issue is something other than layer height, but I have no idea what else could cause it.
Perhaps a picture helps?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LorenzoSCA

Postby LorenzoSCA » 2013-Dec-Fri-07-Dec

Ah ha! I solved issue 2: turns out it was set to go to the Park Position after each print, and that position was set as 130. Fixed that, fixed the problem.
Still don't know about the others.

LorenzoSCA

Return to Simple talk (hardware)