Well, I don't know how to comment on thingiverse, so I'll comment here instead.
My Y-Axis fishing line broke after 2 weeks of printing.
I didn't want to replace the broken fishing line I had, as it was expensive and I would have a couple hundred feet of it. I used some string I had laying around the house to print each part on the Y axis, and they came out pretty good. I printed most at 40% infill, since I found that to be pretty strong for most applications. I went on ebay and picked up everything I needed for about 20 bucks shipped.
I have the Printrbot Simple 2014. I've come across a couple of problems:
I saw a comment on thingiverse. The front piece I printed should be the first version. There's no Rev in the name. I think if you shift the hole closest to the motor slightly up so the fan mount lines up, that would fix the problem.
You also need longer screws to get it through the fan, block, wood, and fan shroud. I would suggest perhaps tweaking the model a bit so the area the fan mounts on isn't so thick/bulky?Fan holes do not align
2. Screw that goes into the motor mount are really hard to screw in. I think it would be good to either use shorter screws, or enlarge the holes on the motor mount
. I was screwing them in, and about halfway, the right side broke off. It may vary between your infill settings and material, but for those with somewhat brittle plastic, i think it would be good to enlarge the holes just a tiny bit. Until I get some better plastic or find some other solution, I'm not sure how to solve this. Do you guys know a good infill percentage for this piece?
Broken Motor Mount
Left and right parts broke. The left one came off pretty clean, leaving the motor plate smooth. The right one broke midway.
So if you've come across these problems, and you cut off the stock Y axis rubber tube because you couldn't pry it off, and you don't have another 3D printer to print your stuff, I've done a couple things to make it temporarily functional:
1. Remove the bearings and the bearing tie bar. Remember to use blue loctite on the pulley set screws.
2. Wrap the belt around the front so it goes under the motor. You may need to unscrew the front block, move the belt inward nice and tight, and screw it in. You don't need the little filament piece here.
3. Tighten the back belt tension block until the belt no longer slips.
4. Slightly screw in two screws diagonally on the fan. There should be enough friction to keep the fan in place. It's not really tight, but the fan shouldn't really fall out as it doesn't go left/right.
5. For the fan shroud, look in your extra screws that came with the printrbot. Find two of the smallest ones, and screw them in from the fan shroud to the wood (towards the fan). Doesn't really matter which holes, just make sure they're positioned diagonally. Tape can help if you have decent tape.
I'm printing a test pyramid now with this temporary fix and it's doing pretty good.
Here's how the setup looks when you're done: