Simple metal G2: how to control fans? [SOLVED]

Postby Barafu Albino » 2017-Apr-Sun-11-Apr

I have installed G2 board into my Simple Metal and made it work. It prints, heat bed works, no problems. I use Simplify3D to slice, then pass through my script to convert Gcode to a dialect for g2core, then use Chilipeppr to control the job. The only question left is how to turn on the fan#1 - the PLA cooling fan? Can someone tell me the command?
P.S. Meanwhile, ask me if you need advise on something in Printrbot G2.

Barafu Albino
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simple metal G2: how to control fans?

Postby PxT » 2017-Apr-Sun-20-Apr

The Printrbot Cura plugin has some hints.
https://github.com/Printrbot/cura-simpl ... le_Cura.py

It translates M106 & M107 using a formula, here are some example outputs:
Code: Select all
M100 ({out4:0.357}); Was: M106 S50
M100 ({out4:0.514}); Was: M106 S100
M100 ({out4:1.000}); Was: M106 S255
M100 ({out4:0}); Was: M107

PxT
Print complete...

Postby musk » 2017-Apr-Mon-02-Apr

Barafu Albino wrote:I have installed G2 board into my Simple Metal and made it work. It prints, heat bed works, no problems. I use Simplify3D to slice, then pass through my script to convert Gcode to a dialect for g2core, then use Chilipeppr to control the job. The only question left is how to turn on the fan#1 - the PLA cooling fan? Can someone tell me the command?
P.S. Meanwhile, ask me if you need advise on something in Printrbot G2.

Instead of messing around with those old flavors of the G2 firmware which required speaking G2core, I'd update to the new Pro's firmware which has Marlin emulation. That way, you won't need to mess around with translating anything into G2core dialect. The only downside is that stuff like G29 has canned probe points so you'd need to specify those points in your start gcode instead of doing a simple G29. I saw the probe point code on github.. it's a few lines of something like G28.3 or something. Also, do yourself a favor and use octoprint to drive your G2 board. It's way, way better than chillipeppr.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby Barafu Albino » 2017-Apr-Mon-19-Apr

Thanks for the code tips!
Is there a non-Mac software to write new firmware? Haven't seen a live Mac system for years. The firmware on my board is 100.19. Octoprint can't talk to it yet. bossac does not see this card and Chilipepprs own flash utility does not work too. I do not know of any other tool to write this type of boards.

Barafu Albino

Postby Barafu Albino » 2017-Apr-Tue-08-Apr

Question is taken down: I have compiled and run new firmware with Linux. The instructions are here. Well, I wanted to say where, but "a new user, please remove off-site URLs."

Barafu Albino

Re: Simple metal G2: how to control fans? [SOLVED]

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Apr-Tue-19-Apr

Spam's a b*****.

Post it as www whatever wherever / etc. One of the mods will edit it for you

Congratulations on your progress. PB hired a kid as a programmer, while good he hadn't quite got that the user community doesn't have the same environment that he does, or that customer convenience is more important than his choice of tools. Give him time, we all had to learn it the hard way

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Barafu Albino » 2017-Apr-Wed-02-Apr

Code: Select all
 github synthetos/g2/wiki/Flashing-g2core-with-Linux

Barafu Albino

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Apr-Wed-11-Apr

Or that'll work, nice trick!

Look here for Linux directions. The Mac OS is descended from an appleized conglomeration of Mach and BSD through NextStep and might be said to be a form of *nix, although saying that'll get you slammed in the wrong circles.

My architect girl has gone back to Macdom after finishing graduate school. U of Mich fell for the apple salesguy and we had to spend a bundle on a MacBook Pro (still have the barely working hulk), an a expensive bundle of never used software, and a pricey maintenance plan (about the cost of a low end Intel PC...). Her grad school was a PC shop, but now that her fellowship paid for a computer she just got a "new" (2014 hardware is new in MacLand) MBP. If it's her money she gets a PC, if it's somebody else's she gets a Mac. Probably something profound there...

Kirk

Edit: They have WInDoze directions, too. Don't have a G2, can't say if they work.

I'd like to try a firmware with higher order acceleration planning, but (alas) not enough time in the spare bin. FWIW Mach3's now retired developer has produced his own free (not open source or Mach based) controller called Auggie; you can read about it on the Gearotic's forum if you're interested. I got the hardware bits for it but got sidetracked with a smoothie based K40 replacment board - plug and almost play compared to having to adapt stepper controller boards. In the grand Moosely tradition that's also unfinished...

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)