Replaced Y-Arm Belt

Replaced Y-Arm Belt

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Apr-Mon-08-Apr

Well after procrastinating about 2 weeks. I finally changed my Y-Arm belt last night. It took only about 10 minutes. I thought about finding out if there was a way to tune the belt tightness using a app. In the end the experiment did not work. The tightness of the belt is still determined by how hard you can pull the belt. There is a bit of deflection in the belt when you press down on the top. I did not measure that. I pulled the belt taught, then clamped the end to the belt using some forceps. Then tightened the Ty-rap as snug as I possibly could. Once I did that I re-calibrated the the hotend, Z-Probe, and Z-Probe offset. Everything worked fine.
What I did discover during the removal of the old belt, the two screws on the back of the Y-Arm had become loose and where loose enough to cause some slack in the Y-arm belt. This was most likely the cause of the sloppy prints I was starting to see. So if that seems like a place everyone should check out. If your prints become a bit whonking check the anchor screws that hold the belt in place on the back of the Y-Arm.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Replaced Y-Arm Belt

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Replaced Y-Arm Belt

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Apr-Mon-10-Apr

Loctite, either the green after assembly or preferably the blue before you screw it together stuff. Red only if you want to fire up your torch to get it apart again (or use it on a snowblower driveshaft powered by a 50HP tractor where it self disassembles when you least want it to...)

CA glue might work, but I'd be worried about disassembly. Use a little drop after you put the screw in, and try not to fill in the socket head.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Re: Replaced Y-Arm Belt

Postby MartyS » 2016-Apr-Mon-10-Apr

In both the metal and wood versions of the simple I've had those 2 screws are used for belt tensioning. You attach the belt to the little part that the 2 screws attach to, attach the part to the ends of the long screws, attach the belt to the other end of the Y arm making it finger tight, then you start screwing in those 2 screws to pull back the belt and tighten it. When the belt is tight that little part should still have a few mm of space between it and the end of the Y arm.

bbrown64 wrote:The tightness of the belt is still determined by how hard you can pull the belt.
What I did discover during the removal of the old belt, the two screws on the back of the Y-Arm had become loose and where loose enough to cause some slack in the Y-arm belt.

MartyS
Solid infill...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)