Rant

Rant

Postby fpinczuk » 2015-Sep-Wed-10-Sep

I have to say I was very disappointed with the quality and workmanship of the wiring when my PrintRbot Kit came in. Case in point. The Z probe wiring color does not match its cable extension wiring (black to white). The Pins for the fan extension are too long to fit the plug. ect....

Well past that and 6 months into it, I decide to upgrade to the Ubis 13 Hot End and guess what was in the package? Another crappy electrical connector. They should really look at their QC processes. Fixing this stuff (ie sending replacement parts) can't be financially sound for any small business.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fpinczuk
Loading filament...

Rant

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rant

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Sep-Wed-14-Sep

But look at it this way, giving out free replacements and bragging about it on Twitter and Google+ makes them the good guys and gain followers/fanboys. So in that sense, it's great for business.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby teicher » 2015-Sep-Wed-18-Sep

I completely understand your frustration, my assembled simple metal arrived with a uncrimped power dongle wire and was DOA. There was no way it had been tested, even just looking at the wire dangling in the air would clue them in that it wasn't functional.

Sure they shipped me another one, but it wouldn't cost them a lot less and kept me a lot happier if they just did QA prior to shipping.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby plexus » 2015-Sep-Thu-00-Sep

Crimp a new connector on and stop being a baby. :D :D :D yes its frustrating but that's supposed to be fun. turns out there are some people that think its fun and some people that abhor it. and everyone in between. these printers are such that there is a lot of assumed DIY involved. they are not plug n play. and if you think a broken wire or mis-matched colours are frustrating it might not be the best hobby for you. or, just accept it and explore the fun of it. its an opportunity to learn. or if you take the stance that printrbot needs to get their shit together then move on and try and find a printer that better suits your needs. you did nothing wrong. all these companies come at the 3D printer thing in different ways. some try and be as plug n play as possible (and are much more expensive, typically) and some are even more DIY than printrbot. one could argue it's caveat emptor. or simply it is what it is. now you know! so now you can make some decisions based on what you know. there is a lot of knowlesge to gain grappling with a printrbot... if you dare :twisted:

It's interesting to spend time in this forum and see people come and go. people from various experience levels from total newbie to tenured expert, and every level of expectation from expecting plug n play and top notch customer care to wanting even more DIY. every level has had users sign on here and eventually move on, either to an even more DIY mode or plug n play. and a lot of stuck around because the level of DIY vs PnP is manageable to enjoyable. yes it is that complex. welcome to the machine. :ugeek:

plexus
Site Admin

Postby fpinczuk » 2015-Sep-Fri-22-Sep

plexus wrote:Crimp a new connector on and stop being a baby. :D :D :D yes its frustrating but that's supposed to be fun. turns out there are some people that think its fun and some people that abhor it. and everyone in between. these printers are such that there is a lot of assumed DIY involved. they are not plug n play. and if you think a broken wire or mis-matched colours are frustrating it might not be the best hobby for you. or, just accept it and explore the fun of it. its an opportunity to learn. or if you take the stance that printrbot needs to get their shit together then move on and try and find a printer that better suits your needs. you did nothing wrong. all these companies come at the 3D printer thing in different ways. some try and be as plug n play as possible (and are much more expensive, typically) and some are even more DIY than printrbot. one could argue it's caveat emptor. or simply it is what it is. now you know! so now you can make some decisions based on what you know. there is a lot of knowlesge to gain grappling with a printrbot... if you dare :twisted:

It's interesting to spend time in this forum and see people come and go. people from various experience levels from total newbie to tenured expert, and every level of expectation from expecting plug n play and top notch customer care to wanting even more DIY. every level has had users sign on here and eventually move on, either to an even more DIY mode or plug n play. and a lot of stuck around because the level of DIY vs PnP is manageable to enjoyable. yes it is that complex. welcome to the machine. :ugeek:

That wasn't my point, as a adult mature business person who looks up to to these great innovative but small companies. I simply can't understand the financial decision behind cutting corners on very simple things such as "bad crimp" and then see the company loose money (labor, part and freight) to compensate for a defective product to begin with. And learning experience, please what exactly do I learn in fixing a 2 wire connector? Learn to solder? Been doing it since you were still dragging your ass in a diaper in the Great White North.

I've bought many kits DIY, and yes I would expect things not to go perfectly. But not something as simple as these issues from a US based company? Is that the new standard?

Put a Made in China or Quebec Sticker on it, and then I'll agree with you "baby" comment.

fpinczuk
Loading filament...

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Sep-Sat-10-Sep

"We place defects in our kits to help you learn more about 3D printing. After all, it's more fun to fix the printers instead of printing stuff. You're welcome". Said no one ever.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby teicher » 2015-Sep-Sat-14-Sep

If I buy a part from a company, I expect it to work as advertised not show up DOA. It's not like we're picking this stuff up from a scratch and dent sale or a scrap bin. The money I paid wasn't broken, that's for sure.

You really have to not pay attention to ship a part with a dangling wire to a customer...

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Sun-08-Sep

No, you have the wrong attitude. It's not a business, it's a hobby selling things to hobbyists, forget all this QC and how you should run a business stuff. Don't even think about maintaining stock levels (although to be fair our local Sam Walton Emporium hasn't figured that out real well either).

Or at least some days it sure looks like it. OTOH, the times I've talked to customer support they're also hobbyists that feel your pain and they've done a good job of resolving problems. It might take them 6 or 8 months if it's a promised AMU nozzle, but they will eventually make it right.

It's a hobby. Indulge in another hobby (like, say, riding your KZ650 if you're in the right climate zone) while you're waiting for a replacement that works. Lots better for your health than waiting for them to figure out this whole business thing. Besides it works well for the founder, what with the reality TV show, Mexican villa and private jet.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)