Led power supply question

Postby Agent0range » 2016-Feb-Thu-16-Feb

So I have been looking into a led power supply. I want it to run both my 1405 printer and a 8x12 heated bed. Now the heated bed can draw 18 amps to start then go down to 14-15 amps. Now i don't know how much the printer pull for amps. I haven't found that information yet. I would also want to make sure it will be enough to run a e3d v6 and a few extra fans.
So will this power supply be enough to handle all of that?

here is the led power supply I was looking at. It's Mean Well NES-350-12 12V 350 Watt Ul Switching Power Supply 110-240 Volt and the amps is 29.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007K2H0G ... 6434088154

Here the heated bed if you guys want to look at it.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/8-4-X-12-6-Heatbe ... 0408.m2460

Agent0range
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Led power supply question

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Feb-Thu-17-Feb

After subtracting your heated bed, you have 11 amps left. The typical hot end is less than 48 watts, so call that very conservatively another 4 amps (it's really probably closer to 3). That leaves 7 for the board and fans. Typical fans draw less than half an amp, so you could run 4 fans for less than 2 amps; that leaves 5amps available for the board. This is generous; I don't have an exact spec for the board, but I think it probably only consumes 1 or 2 amps for its own internal purposes.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2016-Feb-Thu-18-Feb

Jay forgot the steppers in his analysis. Worst case, you need 15A for your heated bed (I assume you won't be running steppers while this is first starting, so use 15A instead of 18A), 3.3A (40W) for your extruder heater cartridge, 0.1A for each fan, 2.5A for each stepper, plus (say) 0.5A for the PrintrBoard = 29A. But that's only if your steppers all step at the same moment, whilst the heater is on, the heated bed is on, and fans are running. The voltage may sag slightly and briefly if/when this happens, if your "29A" supply can't actually supply 29A. But a moment later, the pulses to the steppers will be over, the current draw will fall, the voltage will recover, and everything will be fine. The PrintrBoard logic is the only thing which is really voltage-sensitive, and that regulates 12V down to 5V anyway.

In my inexpert opinion, you'll be fine.

PrintrBot says their Play (which includes everything you've got except the heated bed) will run on a 12V 6A power supply. The Plus http://printrbot.com/shop/assembled-metal-printrbot-plus/ (10x10 heated bed = 100 sq in, vs your 96 sq in) runs off a 29A supply. So again I'd say you would be fine.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Feb-Thu-18-Feb

Mean Well is a better name supply. Had a noname 29A 12V supply on my V1 Plus for several years and am very happy with it.

Don't forget to print a cover for the exposed terminals.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Feb-Thu-23-Feb

Oops, sorry about leaving out the steppers. But we all agree that 29 or 30 amps should be enough.

By the way, the steppers actually draw current continuously! Pretty much the same amount of current is shuttled back and forth incrementally between two coils inside the motor, and (except for Z) they are always once you've started any motion on that axis. Printrbot firmware tends to turn off Z motors between moves, but that actually negates the advantage of 16X microsteps. Usually, the steppers are adjusted so they're drawing less than an amp each.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Agent0range » 2016-Feb-Fri-14-Feb

Thanks for all the information you guys gave me. It's help a lot. I'm going to go with a bigger power supply. I rather have to much then just enough. So here is the link to the new one I was looking at its a 450w 12v 37.5 amp.

Here the Amazon link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005T6O5Z ... =se-450-12

And here the link to its specs. It's se-450-12
http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/ ... rod=se-450

Agent0range
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Feb-Fri-14-Feb

Don't forget that the wires carrying current from that monster have to be heavy-duty. At least 12 gauge, maybe 10 if you think it's really going to be delivering that many amps. http://www.usawire-cable.com/pdfs/nec%20ampacities.pdf

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Agent0range » 2016-Feb-Fri-15-Feb

Yes I knew I needed to use heavy gauge wire. Just wasn't sure on size. I was going to ask my girlfriend mom that is a Electrician. When I ready to start wiring this up.

Agent0range
Loading filament...

Postby thawkins » 2016-Feb-Sat-02-Feb

Agent0range wrote:Yes I knew I needed to use heavy gauge wire. Just wasn't sure on size. I was going to ask my girlfriend mom that is a Electrician. When I ready to start wiring this up.

You can buy heavy gauge wire in R/C model shops used normally for LIPO batteries, its silicon covered and very very flexible, think the kind of wire you have on multi-meter leads but much thicker.

Its ideal for wiring up a heated bed on a moving bed machine.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Feb-Sat-06-Feb

Most of these LED power supplies also have adjustable voltage output, at least mine does. It would be adviseable to check the output voltage prior to hooking up the printer. For adjusting the voltage you will need a multimeter. A digital one would be the better choice.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Feb-Sat-08-Feb

The output voltage will change a bit under load. I set mine to 12.0V with the bed and hot end on, and have a cheap panel meter on the output. Haven't had to adjust it in years.

The Printrboard can handle higher than 12V (Laine gave the exact voltage, check the archive), but you'll have a problem with overheating if you boost the bed voltage too much. Best to stick with 12 under load.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby jackdeive01 » 2017-Jul-Mon-04-Jul

bbrown64 wrote:Most of these LED power supplies also have adjustable voltage output, at least mine does. It would be adviseable to check the output voltage prior to hooking up the printer. For adjusting the voltage you will need a multimeter. A digital one would be the better choice.

Hello,

Can you please give me any idea about the installation of led power supply in the outdoor area??
Thanks

jackdeive01
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jul-Mon-07-Jul

jackdeive01, I guess maybe you found this thread by a Google search. In this discussion, we're really talking about using power supplies that are sold for use with LED's for another purpose, namely to power our 3D printers. This whole forum is about the Printrbot brand of 3D printers. And 3D printers are only used indoors; they are not at all weather-resistant, so none of us are thinking about using the power supplies outdoors.

To answer your question, if you don't find a power supply that is specifically designed for outdoor use then you will need to provide an enclosure to protect it from rain, while still allowing some way for heat to be dissipated. This includes making sure water doesn't run down a wire into the power supply, even if the supply itself is "under an umbrella". I can't say any more than that.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jul-Mon-09-Jul

Another spammer from the subcontinent.

We've been watching the remake of Cosmos on Netflix, the episode we saw last night was about the formation if continents and had some cool graphics if India slamming into Asia. Spam for hire, not so cool

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)