Moving on from the Ubis

Come visit Plexus' print lab and find out what he's been up to (what did he break now?)

Moving on from the Ubis

Postby plexus » 2014-Jan-Thu-19-Jan

All metal high temp hot end. so far, so good, but not Utopia.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Moving on from the Ubis

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Moving on from the Ubis

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jan-Thu-19-Jan

Which hotend is this?

What is the max temp you can take it up to?

Does it still work with PLA?

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby plexus » 2014-Jan-Thu-23-Jan

It's an E3D. I can get it to 350C which is the limit the heater can get to. it will sit there at 350C with no smells, nothing burning and the filament guide, metal, luke warm to the touch. It prints PLA with excellent results. The fan cools the fins of the filament guide and is very effective at doing so, even when running at 350C.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby MrWasabi » 2014-Jan-Fri-01-Jan

You would use this mainly to print Nylon? New to the game so not sure what the advantages are of going to such temps

MrWasabi
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jan-Fri-02-Jan

plexus wrote:It's an E3D. I can get it to 350C which is the limit the heater can get to. it will sit there at 350C with no smells, nothing burning and the filament guide, metal, luke warm to the touch. It prints PLA with excellent results. The fan cools the fins of the filament guide and is very effective at doing so, even when running at 350C.

Looks good, I should probably buy one, i have a 6lb reel of trimmer line filament to try out.

i have an
1 x Ubis. (Converted to 6mm 40W heaters)
2 x Jhead (from the original designer, not the cheap Chinese knockoffs, seem to work fine, feels much like the Ubis in operation.)
2 x QU-BD MBE9 (works fine with ABS, but cranky with PLA). (Converted to 6mm 40W Heaters)

The Ubis and JHeads I don't want to take above 235-240 given the plastic components. The MBE9's i just don't trust very much at the moment. They are a bit iffy. I have modified them to have a skate bearing pressure arm like the printrBOT and that has dramatically improved reliability over the original grub screw plunger.

I'm also playing with very high Cubic Feet/min flow fans, as active cooling, particularly on the MBE9's. I found a cheap 12v 40MM 11.48 CFM fan that is like a jet engine. I was using it as a cooling fan on my simple but had to remove it because every-time it cut in the extruder dropped by 10 degrees. Most 40mm fans are in the 3-6 CFM range, not very powerful. Downside is its heavy and noisy. (it sounds like a jet engine too.)

What would be cool would be for you guys to publish so data on what beds work best for each plastic type and what temps etc.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jan-Fri-02-Jan

plexus wrote:It's an E3D. I can get it to 350C which is the limit the heater can get to. it will sit there at 350C with no smells, nothing burning and the filament guide, metal, luke warm to the touch. It prints PLA with excellent results. The fan cools the fins of the filament guide and is very effective at doing so, even when running at 350C.

PS: what are you using as a thermistor or is it using a thermo-couple, I understand you cant get above 280 with a thermistor.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby plexus » 2014-Feb-Wed-17-Feb

thawkins wrote:

PS: what are you using as a thermistor or is it using a thermo-couple, I understand you cant get above 280 with a thermistor.

EPCOS thermistor. They work ok up to 300C. I have gone beyond but no long print. I haven't killed an EPCOS thermistor yet but if I do I will post about it.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby wd5gnr » 2014-Feb-Thu-01-Feb

I am thinking of trying E3D on the Aluminum extruder. Did you have to lengthen the E3D to get it near the bed or is it long enough?

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby Nickies08 » 2014-Feb-Thu-12-Feb

I have two of the Pico all metal hotends coming with 500C thermistors. http://www.b3innovations.com/shop/pico-ks/

I'm really anxious for then to arrive in March.

Printrbot Plus V2.0
Aluminum bearing blocks
Aluminum Build Plate
Robotdigg custom Nema 17 motors with 500mm T8*8 Acme Rods on Z-axis (19" of print height)
Wire extensions to accommodate extra build height
GT2 Belts and Pulleys
Nickies08
Solid infill...

Postby wd5gnr » 2014-Feb-Thu-15-Feb

The Pico looks good. I decided I wanted something cheap for 1.75 ABS and the Ubis is out of stock so I sprung $20 for a J-head lite off eBay. I figure for $20 even if I can't figure out where to mount it, I'll do something with it. The I will eventually go with an E3D, a Pico, or something else that I haven't decided yet.

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby plexus » 2014-Feb-Thu-21-Feb

wd5gnr wrote:The Pico looks good. I decided I wanted something cheap for 1.75 ABS and the Ubis is out of stock so I sprung $20 for a J-head lite off eBay. I figure for $20 even if I can't figure out where to mount it, I'll do something with it. The I will eventually go with an E3D, a Pico, or something else that I haven't decided yet.

There is also the Magma (I have one for sale). and probably a number of other all metal hot ends. I know I have melted a hot end (Ubis) running polycarbonate at 280C. so PEEK based hot ends have limitations. the all metal designs are nice when you have a limited amount of area that has melted plastic in it while maintaining the right amount of the various temperature parameters needed to get good extrusion. its probably a black art. the E3D works better, for me, than the Ubis. but the hot end is expensive and so are the nozzles. but its a snap to change between 3 and 1.75mm. I mostly use 3mm. the Pico is even more money but if its better then maybe its worth it. hard to tell.

plexus
Site Admin

Return to Plexus Print Lab