[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - LED Ring Light and Fan Mount

LED Ring Light and Fan Mount

Postby JohnSL » 2013-Jun-Sun-19-Jun

I was please with my fan mount for a while. But there were two things I didn't like. The fan got in the way when I was watching my printer make parts (which I've spent way too much time doing). And it was dark in there. A friend of mine told me about LED ring lights, and I found some on Amazon for $10 (this is for two of them) with free shipping using my Prime account. Sweet! I ordered a pair, and then designed a new mount.

Here is a picture taken in a dark room with light only from the ring LED:

P6131645_Adjusted.jpg
And here is the ring LED that I purchased from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00899 ... UTF8&psc=1):

P6131649_Cropped.jpg
This photo is with the room lights on, showing the fan mount in place:

P6131643_Cropped.jpg
The ring LEDs are designed for 12 volts, which is exactly the voltage provided to the Printrboard. There doesn't seem to be a set of pins to provide auxiliary power, so I carefully pushed the wires into the existing Molex pins, as you can see in the photo below. The wires from the LED are read and black, but smaller diameter than the other wires already attached to the connector:

P6161650_Cropped_Circle.jpg

Here is the link to the file on Thingiverse (I used Netfab to clean it up first this time :-)): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:104825

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnSL
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: LED Ring Light and Fan Mount

Postby JasperJ » 2013-Jun-Mon-03-Jun

I like it, I've thought of redesigning the fan mount to have the fan sideways for the purpose of seeing what's happening but the ring light I hadn't thought of.

JasperJ
Printing skirt...

Postby jocphone » 2013-Jun-Mon-05-Jun

I think we've all spent far too much time watching our printers, it is kind of mesmerising. My 10 year old daughter spent about 3 hours watching it the first night.

To make it more of a visual experience I park my "Helping Hands" in front of it which has a 3.5 inch magnifying glass. Helps me to see when the tip is the right height on that first layer.

jocphone
Levelling print bed...

Postby DumpRun » 2013-Jun-Mon-07-Jun

I watch my prints ALL THE TIME!! Less so now that I have my fan obstructing my view, but every now and then I'll just sit there for a good hour watching layer after layer. This looks like an excellent mod and I must say that once my new beta .2 parts come in I will be designing my own fan mount and I will likely include this LED ring holder because it is just SUCH a good idea! Kudos JohnSL!

DumpRun
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby rsilvers » 2013-Jun-Mon-19-Jun

Ordered. I was meaning to add LEDs to my bigger printer but this is a low-cost way to add it to the Simple.

rsilvers
First blob a success!

Postby JohnSL » 2013-Jun-Mon-23-Jun

Sometimes I wonder if making the parts easier to see while printing is a good idea, as it makes it easier to waste time watching it :D.

On the other hand, I just got my Simple's big brother up and running, and I fear my Simple might not get much love. I have a MendelMax 2.0 that I got running this past weekend, and wow is it fast! And accurate. I'm in love all over again.

JohnSL
I'm an end stop.

Postby ahaer » 2013-Jun-Tue-09-Jun

ordered led ring for myself - can't wait!

Original PrintrBot Simple Beta Owner, upgraded to V2 with
- 360mm GT2 belt-driven X axis (thing:215294 + thing:24061)
- 160mm GT2 belt-driven Y axis (thing:229854)
- 360mm x 160mm bed for GT2 belt-driven X axis (thing:240601)
- 160mm Z axis (thing:215625)
- LED light ring and 40mm fan mount (thing:217224)
Created second printer from Makers kit 1405 upgrade and spare parts with
- Aluminum Extrunder V1, UBIS 13S hot end
- 190mm metal bed
- 160mm z travel
- 1U PC Power supply
ahaer
Solid infill...

Postby healthyfatboy » 2013-Jun-Wed-21-Jun

Grabbed the last one on Prime today! This will be fun to have around.

Printrbot LC Kit in PrintrBOX
PB bed stabilizer, leveler, fan mount, Y belt tensioner
Printed X-axis belt tensioner, spur gears, Z stabilizer
GT2 belts and pulleys
ACME lead screws and nuts
Hotend support ()
0.4, 0.35 mm nozzles, eventually 0.2 mm
Reflectix and 3M metal tape under heated bed
Plain glass for now
healthyfatboy

Postby DumpRun » 2013-Jun-Thu-08-Jun

Ordered a set of these leds off of ebay today, using some of the money from the beta v2 i had refunded by Printrbot! I don't know what it is exactly, but I just LOVE the fact that this thing can print it's own modifications! :D

DumpRun

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Jun-Sat-19-Jun

dx.com has them too, although they're usually pretty slow to ship.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby magikh0e » 2013-Dec-Wed-01-Dec

Awesome idea! Found some on ebay in Hong Kong for 4.88$ usd + free shipping.

Ebay Item #141073901704

Color: white
LED’s number: 15 each one
Type: 1210/3528
Color temperature:10000K
Power: 1.2W for 15LED
Voltage: 12V
Outer diameter: approx 60mm
Inner diameter: approx40mm
Package: 2x halo rings lights

Btw, you can prob just wire them into a molex connector with some shrink wrap and connect to one of the free connectors on the PSU, should be cleaner that way. This is what I plan to do with mine.

Last edited by magikh0e on 2013-Dec-Wed-11-Dec, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker's do it with all sorts of characters...
magikh0e
Levelling print bed...

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2013-Dec-Wed-11-Dec

Ring lights are very helpful at seeing hard to see layer issues and print issues. I wish someone had a printable option for printrbots dual extruder setup. I guess that means I'll have to make one.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby ahaer » 2014-Jan-Thu-13-Jan

I've made a version of this for the Simple wooden direct drive extruder..

viewtopic.php?f=106&t=5945

Original PrintrBot Simple Beta Owner, upgraded to V2 with
- 360mm GT2 belt-driven X axis (thing:215294 + thing:24061)
- 160mm GT2 belt-driven Y axis (thing:229854)
- 360mm x 160mm bed for GT2 belt-driven X axis (thing:240601)
- 160mm Z axis (thing:215625)
- LED light ring and 40mm fan mount (thing:217224)
Created second printer from Makers kit 1405 upgrade and spare parts with
- Aluminum Extrunder V1, UBIS 13S hot end
- 190mm metal bed
- 160mm z travel
- 1U PC Power supply
ahaer
Solid infill...

Return to Simple talk (hardware)